Replacing fingerboards

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Aug 10, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I've done a search on the topic but haven't find good results.

I've tried using an iron to produce steam to break down the glue between the fingerboard/fretboard but that didn't work. I've tried holding the neck over boiling water but that didn't work.

Can someone tell me how I can remove my old fingerboard/fretboard, without taking it to a professional?
  2. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Short of using jackhammer, it's gotta go to a pro hasn't it? Really...I mean ...if my axe fell apart like that I'd be taking it back. On the other hand, I'm prob wrong again!
    Cheers & Cleansing Beers.:rolleyes:
  3. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    well... not being educated on this topic, and only using common sense... i would say its going to be a pain in the butt to remove the fretboard off of the neck..... that is glued down way hard, short of a bansaw i dont think there is ANY way to remove it without getting nice huge chunks of the neck wripped off with the fretboard.. why not just buy a replacement neck? they arent terribly expensive
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    There may not be a practical way to remove it without destroying it. If you knew exactly what kind of glue it was put on with, it would help. Different glues are softened by different means.

Most repair people would remove the frets and plane the old board off. A quick job with an electric plane, slower and safer with a good sharp hand plane.

Why are you removing the old board?

5. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm removing it so I can have a wood maker sand it down with this thing used for bowling lanes. I'm having a really hard time trying to level the fretboard on my recently defretted. At this point I'd love to buy a replacement neck but I can't find any to replace a 5 string jazz morado (pau ferro) fretboard fretless.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I believe removing the board for leveling it is a serious mistake in judgement.

It very likely is not something that you can do yourself but a decent repair person can almost certainly do it without removing the FB.

There is no machine that I'm aware of being used on bowling alleys that will put the radius back on the board. You wont be happy with a flat board.

My advice is not to go any further on your own. Find a repair person before you ruin the neck.

I don't mean to be discouraging but you are just before really messing up big time.

7. other option sells radius sanding blocks that will help
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, IMO, it's stupid to try to remove the fingerboard and expect to salvage it for future use! You run the risk of destroying it, as well as the neck, and you'll never get it back on exactly as it is now!

Second of all, if you're truly intent on taking the fingerboard off, you're going about it in the wrong way. You said you've been using the steam from an iron to try to get it off? That will not work! You can use an iron, but you literally have to iron the fretboard to a ridiculously hot level to melt the glue within the fibers of the wood. And if you don't do this properly...:rolleyes:

Geez...just go buy a Warmoth neck! Less headache and less cost, in the long run!