1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Frets..$

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by the_puma, Oct 18, 2013.

1. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
    How much to replace the frets on my Peavey Cirrus 6? please PM me.

2. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know the exact price, but it will be a lot cheaper than if the fretboard were maple. They have to refinish it when it's made of that. I would guess it to be in the hundreds of dollars range though.

4. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
    I Talked to this guy in Austin, Tx said about 185. If I were to provide the fretwire.

Thanks for your reply mate.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    When you have an instrument of that quality, find the best craftsman for the job, not the cheapest.

6. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Not enough fret for a level/crown/polish?

8. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
    it scares me but I might try it.

9. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Give the level/crown/polish a shot. I would feel comfortable taking it to the guy in the link if you're not happy with the results.

You should be fine if he does as good of a job on his fretwork as he does on the rest of the bass. Play some of his work to see if you like what he does with fretwork.

If you don't have the tools to do the fretwork factor that into the total fret job. You may want to just take it to him.

Just in case...

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/fretting/fretwire

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire.html

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1

and what kind of repair guy doesn't have his own fretwire? asking you to scrounge up wire for him to use sounds pretty "shade tree" to me.

anyway, $200-300 is a normal range.

now, what makes you think you need new frets?

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i dont think i've ever seen an electric bass that actually needs new frets. even 60s-70s vintage players basses, with original frets, could be leveled and polished and we would be none the wiser that they're original.

i'd go with the grind and polish, unless you're sure the frets that are on there are no good. the link you posted looks cool, i like his basses and wish i could try a few out..

12. Hi.

He probably has plenty, but perhaps he got fed up with all the different FW requests and after the refret it still wasn't satisfactory and the customer demanded a refund?

Or if he uses athe premium brands and the customers constantly nag about how cheaply they can get just the same FW from wesellitcheaper dot com?

Just letting the customer to choose and pick up any fret wire they happen to fancy is something I wouldn't do though.

The sudden urge to have a double action TR (which the OP's bss sports) usually comes after a DIY or otherwise incompetent refret ;).

Regards
    Sam

13. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
    The reason I'm providing the wire is because I want a certain type of wire.

14. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca

The sudden urge to have a double action TR (which the OP's bss sports) usually comes after a DIY or otherwise incompetent refret .

Thanks for the AM (rueful) larf...

BTW--the very first Cirri, did not have 2 way rods. I have one.

15. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    200-300 is the norm here, stainless or std frets. I would go stainless myself. Do it once and don't worry about it ever again.

16. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012
    I have been drooling over Gold frets lately...

http://bit.ly/1icfqrl

17. Whuuuut?!?

The only reason a fretboard would need a refinish after a fret job would be because whoever removed the frets didn't know what they were doing and chipped the board. Rosewood is that color. They usually are oiled if anything, no need for a refinish.

18. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    "maple"

19. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Interesting. Wonder how they hold up. Also curious if there's any gold in there or if Evo Gold is a trade meme for the company / alloy. Neat

20. the_puma

the_puma

Jun 20, 2012