Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing graphite with brass nut on warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 22, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is it possible to change the graphite just a nut on a warwick streamer jazzman with a brass one?

this model is born with the graphite nut.

are the brass ones on sale as replacement parts?

thanks

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup, did it with my ss2. all the string spacing is the same, but it might require a small shim (mine did)

your local warwick dealer is able to get them for you. i i dealt with electric city music(www.electriccitymusic.com). if i recall it cost about $30, but it was well worth it.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    more consistant sound with open notes
    nut height was more even (the graphite one tends to develop a bow inward because it's only suspended on the end)
    looks nicer

and the main reason why i did it: the plastic one was jabbing me in the hand when i shifted back. it's pointy! the brass one isn't.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Is this modification possible with all Warwick models? I'd like to throw one on my Corvette.

That's my biggest problem with it, too.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup. all the nut widths and spacing have stayed the same.

6. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    30bucks! cheap cheap... I want to replace mine as well, do you think the brass nut brightens up the tone a bit? just wondering cause one is a more dense material than the other.

and Barrosso about the hiss on the jazzman, i just got an email back and aparently the only way to get rid of it was to change the single coil jazz pickup to a jazz stacked humbucker pickup. The bloke at dana b goods said that they actually have pested warwick in germany recently to install that into the jazzmans as a standard setup. so maybe new model will come out next year with new improved jazzman features... who knows?

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Cool, thanks.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd be lying if i said it did a bit of difference on any notes other than the open ones, but it does brighten the open notes up a bit.

if that happens, my next warwick will be a 4 string jazzman!!! that's AWESOME.

9. i can get them for 15 to 30 euro.. depends on how many strings + required width..

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i just purchased a used 2000 Streamer jazzman 4 strings that you can see here:

[​IMG]

and the nut is same as this:

[​IMG]

brother Allodox, can you tell me where do you buy these?

thanks!!

11. well they're made by a company called " Webster ".
    www.musikproduktiv.de sells them :)

just use the " search " thingy on 'webster'.. you'll get the page with the " sattel"-s ( a.k.a. nuts :p )