Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing hard disk on a laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 24, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    One of my laptops is starting to make noise. It sounds like an imminent "head crash". It's an IBM ThinkPad X-21. It only has one hard disk built-in, and I don't really think there's any room for another one. What I'd like to do, is replace the disk. The question is, what's the best way to do that? I want to "copy" the entire contents of the old disk, including boot sectors and OS and all that, onto the new disk, and hopefully have some room left over at the end of it all. Does the "copying" part have to be done externally, or is there some convenient way I can hook up an external drive and do it that way? The machine has USB, and all the usual ports, and it's running Win2K. Thanks!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There is a little thing that you can get to do that, but you will have to do it with a different machine, not the laptop. There are some files in the OS that cannot be copied while in use, i.e. when the laptop is running. Buy 2 of these, you can copy one drive to the other. Buy one, copy it all to a hard drive on the desktop, and then to the new hard drive.

3. Check this out:

http://www.apricorn.com/shopping.php?ID=160

You buy a new (bigger) laptop drive, hook it up to your laptop (either USB or the PC card slot) use their software to copy over all the sectors from your existing drive to the new (bigger) hard drive, swap the drive and voila! You got a bigger drive with all your stuff on it.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  5. I forgot to add, after you've spent your $59 on the external drive connector, you can use it to hook up an external hard drive to maintain an exact copy (or whatever you want to back up) of your current hard drive for backup purposes.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Pocket has a good idea. I have been thinking about one of those USB things because it works for both notebook, and regular IDE drives.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, cool! So let me get this straight. This is an ordinary PCMCIA card, right? First I have to buy the new drive I want. Then, I plug in the card, and the new hard drive into that (through the dongle), transfer all the sectors using their software, then simply replace the hard drive? Somehow that sounds too easy. Is that all there is to it?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've got a copy of Norton Ghost I can send you so you can make a image of your current hard drive onto the external drive. Then, when you install the new hard drive, you just copy the image to the new hard drive. Let me know if you want it.

-Mike

9. Yup, that's all there is to it. Essentially, you boot from a floppy or CD that they give you then it copies all the sectors from your current drive to the new drive. I've done it about 3-4 times for my laptops (Sony and IBM).

If MJ5150 is willing to help you, you might consider :

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/ACC10790.html

Which is a USB external drive adapter ($10!). Then all you need is software to copy the sectors over. I can't vouch for this method (cheaper!) since I haven't tried it myself, but the Apricorn stuff really works.

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA