Replacing Hartke... Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lostatrout, Dec 2, 2002.

1. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I currently own a Hartke 4000 with a 410XL cabinet. I bought both of them 4 years ago for $400 in a pawn shop. The head has a short in it so I have to bang it against the cabinet sometimes to get it to work. My kids poked a coat hanger through two of the aluminum cones so they are obviously shot. I am thinking of going with Hartke again but I want to have an open mind about what to buy. To be honest with you, I haven't played through Eden, or GK, or very many other systems. I will have about $1200.00 to spend. Do you have any suggestions?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    if you're thinking about another hartke, the 4.5xl comes to mind. it's a great cab that goes a lot deeper and has better highs than the 410xl. i have an eden setup currently, but i use my hartke 410xl as well. i use my hartke in the practice space with my metro, because it's so clear in the room we use to practice in. my eden 115xl is just too boomy in a confined space. i use the 15 incher for gigs. honestly, i was thinking about getting two 4.5xl's, but the aguilar 4x12 just came out, so....i gotta check that baby out first :D
  3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You might look at Ampegs-they have a pretty good range-
    The Mesa M-Pulse are killers;
    G-K combos and/or heads/cabs are sweet
    Ashdown, damn, so much nice stuff?

Gee I wonder what Munjibunga would recommend??:D
  4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    ... 'replace' your kids!
  5. That was my 1st thought as well. Whatevery you buy, better get a lockable road case. I've used a Hartke 4.5XL for about 10 years now. I powered it with a 250 W amp and it was plenty loud, deep, and punchy. I recently got a Line6 POD pro and wanted a cab with more of a hi-fi sound. I chose the SWR triad and I am glad that I did. If you set on Hartke, go with a 4.5.