Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Hartke... Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lostatrout, Dec 2, 2002.

1. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I currently own a Hartke 4000 with a 410XL cabinet. I bought both of them 4 years ago for $400 in a pawn shop. The head has a short in it so I have to bang it against the cabinet sometimes to get it to work. My kids poked a coat hanger through two of the aluminum cones so they are obviously shot. I am thinking of going with Hartke again but I want to have an open mind about what to buy. To be honest with you, I haven't played through Eden, or GK, or very many other systems. I will have about $1200.00 to spend. Do you have any suggestions?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    if you're thinking about another hartke, the 4.5xl comes to mind. it's a great cab that goes a lot deeper and has better highs than the 410xl. i have an eden setup currently, but i use my hartke 410xl as well. i use my hartke in the practice space with my metro, because it's so clear in the room we use to practice in. my eden 115xl is just too boomy in a confined space. i use the 15 incher for gigs. honestly, i was thinking about getting two 4.5xl's, but the aguilar 4x12 just came out, so....i gotta check that baby out first :D

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You might look at Ampegs-they have a pretty good range-
    The Mesa M-Pulse are killers;
    G-K combos and/or heads/cabs are sweet
    Ashdown, damn, so much nice stuff?

Gee I wonder what Munjibunga would recommend??:D

4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    ... 'replace' your kids!

5. That was my 1st thought as well. Whatevery you buy, better get a lockable road case. I've used a Hartke 4.5XL for about 10 years now. I powered it with a 250 W amp and it was plenty loud, deep, and punchy. I recently got a Line6 POD pro and wanted a cab with more of a hi-fi sound. I chose the SWR triad and I am glad that I did. If you set on Hartke, go with a 4.5.