1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing inset stock bridge with non-inset aftermarket

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GAS_Attack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Recently bought a BB1200S from the early '80s (1983, I think). Needs some clean-up, but still plays great. A previous owner switched out the stock bridge for a Badass II.

The Badass is narrower than the stock bridge, so the original mounting holes peek out a bit from under the Badass. (It also looks like there's a cavity of some sort under there, which also peeks out slightly.)

I'd like to find a replacement bridge wider than the Badass so it can cover the old holes. The Badass is about 3.25" wide, and I figure I'll need a bridge about 3.5" wide to cover what's under there. Hopefully, the wider bridge will have adjustable string spacing, so that doesn't get messed up.

Of course, if anyone knows where I can get one of the original BB bridges, that would be fantastic.

Pic below (which I stole from another post on TB) of what the vintage BB bridge looks like.

Thanks much!

Attached Files:

2. Damn where'd you find a BB1200s???

3. Craigslist. For a song, but it needs a lot of elbow grease (and a new bridge).

4. I changed the title of the thread to reflect the new direction things have taken:

I pulled the Badass off and discovered that the original BB bridge was set into the body. The Badass (and some electrical tape) covered most of the original bridge cavity.

Pics below of the open cavity and with the Badass set on top (note gap on either side).

(Yes, the Badass was effectively suspended over the cavity with the bridge mount screws spanning the depth of the cavity and barely anchoring into the body!) :rollseyes

So, unless I can find a vintage BB bridge to fit the cavity, I'm gonna have to go with Plan B:

Find scrap of mahogany (the body wood) about the size of the cavity and shape to fit. Stain to match body as closely as possible (very little will be exposed). Drill hole so bridge ground can get through to bridge. Anchor to body with counstersunk wood screws. Mount new bridge to/through new inset.​

Ideally, this will enhance sustain over the previous situation and mount the bridge more securely, while helping the look of the bridge area. Plus, the new wood insert will be removable in case I ever locate a vintage bridge to fit.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020