Replacing/Installing a new bridge....need help.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    presently have a Spector Performer 4 (NS-2002B) 4 string bass which has your traditional, standard, heavy duty, precision/jazz bass type bridge (19mm string spacing between strings, 2 1/4 inches overall). I'd like to replace the bridge on this bass with the "Slim Tail" bass bridge from Custom Shop Parts (

I'd like to know what is the correct way to go about changing the bridge. I know that the mounting holes on the Slim Tail do not match up to the holes of the original bridge. So, I will have to drill some new holes. The bass is a 34" scale. What is the proper way to measure for the placement of the bridge? I want to place the bridge correctly so I can intonate it properly. I know that it should be 17" from the 12th fret to the bridge (34" from nut to bridge) but to what part of the bridge? How should the saddles be when measuring? Should they be all the way up (towards neck) or all the way back (towards back of bridge) or in the middle? I want to be able to place this bridge properly so I don't have to drill holes, place the bridge, find out it's not correct, re-drill holes, re- place the bridge, bass will wind up looking like swiss cheese.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!