replacing IOD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 29, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA my IOD keeps breaking. it's been in total working condition for about a month out of the 4 months i've owned it. it's too bad, because i LOVE the sound. it has that PERFECT mixture of tube warmth while still retaining 100% SWR clarity.

i'm going to drop it off at the service place either tomorrow or sunday (too bad it's a nearly 2 hour trip there and back) and give it another month. what should i do after that?

try to get a complete new one from SWR?
    get a Grand Prix (in addition to my tube compressor, with a super nice 12ax7, will it be almost as warm as the IOD?)
    get an Aguilar DB659 (but does it maintain that hi-fi ness?)
    any other preamps i should look at?

this is so frustrating....i finally find the piece of equipment that makes me sound exactly like i want to sound...and it just keeps breaking.

2. Send it to SWR along with a detailed note. Have them fix it once, and fix it right.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would take a look at the Aguilar DB659. It is incredibly warm sounding, with a very hi-fi sound. It is a lot more "full" sounding than the Grand Prix IMO. The Aguilar is very versatile too. You can get a great Funk tone out of it, with plenty of snap without sounding brittle. It is capable of getting a very smooth warm "vintage" tone. You can also turn up the Gain and get some very nice overdrive.
    I still can't get over how good my DB359 sounds! :D
  4. jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i'll say it and i'll say it again- the sansamp psa-1 is an amazingly versatile and kick ass preamp. i do only use occasionally it to compliment my sm400, but it is a kickin preamp that allows any range of tone contouring you are looking for.

that was an abridged review, sans the generally useless tone descriptions. i beleive tone is too personal and subjective to describe effectively.

just give it a try and see if it wrks for you as well as it does for me.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

you know...i didn't even think of it.

that's what i'm gonna do.

6. When my cameras need repair, they go to the importer. Pentax in Colorado, Nikon (used to be) in San Francisco. This is probably pure bigotry on my part, but I feel I get excellent service from the people that work on those particular rigs all day, every day.

Who knows the IOD better than the folks that built it?

Be sure to include a note as to what happened, and how the fixes (so far) have not been satisfactory.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I use the Aguilar 659 too and love it. I thought about the IOD, but your experience makes me like the 659 a little bit more. Man, that sucks :(
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm very sorry to hear about your IOD!! I love mine, and it's been working fine since I bought it used. Even better after the retube and bias. Yes, send it to SWR. Call them on the phone (no e-mail) and get an RA#. Tell them that you fear that you have a lemon, and that they should go through everything. I certainly hope they make it good, for their sake. I say that as I look at their logo at the top of the screen....weird.

I use the IOD by itself and in parallel with an Aguilar DB680, and they work great together.
  9. Interesting....I was thinking of doing this with my IOD and M-2000 to "improve" the Mesa's anemic tone. The DB680 looks terrific? Why would you do this anyway with a 5 tube preamp? What is your goal? I am asking mainly because I am thinking of losing my M-2000 in favour of a DB680 so I'd love to hear your experiance.
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The 680 is nothing but punchy buttery bass goodness. I use them together because they do sound different, and it's easier to get the driven sound out of the IOD. It's just more, more EQ, more options. I'm also playing with an alembic superfilter, hooking these three up in various ways. For example, using one channel of the SF-2 to filter out the low going into the IOD, full range into the DB680, and mixing them back together with the fx return on the 680, so you drive only the mid/highs with the IOD.

Hey, the more knobs you have, the more time you waste fiddling with them all, and not playing.

as a matter of fact:

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    I've found through experience that SWR is extremely responsive and helpfull in situations like yours. If it's under warranty, and you didn't trash it, they'll take care of it right. Start with a phone call or e-mail. And if it is giving you the sound you want, why consider swapping it. Be happy with YOUR sound.
  12. Yes, I know that. A slippery slope, watch out. Clever set up!