1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing J pups $75 too much?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lil nelson, Mar 9, 2016.

1. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    the local music store wants $75 to replace passive pickups. I think thats alittle high. Is that a fair price? Thanks

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Better question, how much is an hour of bench time worth at this shop? If an hour is worth $75 on that bench it is an appropriate cost. While it may only take 15 minutes they may only charge by the hour but they may also throw in a setup. Find out what you're paying for beyond "an install."

For what it's worth, you could get that done for a lot less even from an electronics repair place (assuming they have the time, those guys are always backed up around here.)

3. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    Yes i was going to ask about checking the intonation. I think there going to charge extra for the set up. Ill ask

4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    That price is not crazy for the job, but, in order to do the whole job, correctly, they should remove the strings..if they remove the strings, they should set intonation when they put them back on, it won't be exactly the same after taking them off, a first rate price, for a first rate job, that's only my opinion, but I'm sticking with it, if you paid me $75 to change pickups, I certainly would not be looking to save time, by cutting corners, and I'd make sure that the integrity of my work was top notch..like the price. Afterwards, when you send someone , by word of mouth, they would expect to pay well, for an excellent job.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  5. It's probably still cheaper than buying your owner soldering kit & doing it yourself, not to mention it should be faster. It might take some time to get it done right if you do it yourself.
    If there's no other shop around to get a second opinion, that might be why the price is that high.
    Maybe there's someplace else within driving distance that would do it cheaper?

6. Wrong on both counts. It would cost very little money to buy a soldering iron, and do it yourself. It would also only take maybe half an hour's work for an inexperienced person, versus several days of sitting in a shop.

Icemanaroonie and LoveThatBass like this.
  7. I guess it depends on what soldering kit you buy & what shop you took it to, so I'm not unequivocally wrong.

My soldering kit probably cost me $50 & it was a while before I felt competent enough to do a job like that.

I also have take a bass in one day & gotten it back the very next day, and a similar job was done on it.

8. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    If I didn't want to or know how to solder, the same $75 would get a Richter passive jazz bass plate from bestbassgear. It has screw terminals for the pickups and is shielded so it is quiet. It is a super clean unit as well.

$75 doesn't seem like a lot of money for piece of mind though. I'd have them put new strings on and set it up for that amount.