Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Jazz bass pickups soon....need questions answered

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GrooveDude, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Ok I have a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Five string.

I am going to buy Bartolinis to replace my current pickups. Here are the questions I have

1) How easy is it to by yourself?
    2) I already have active electronics, is it just a pickup swap, or should I buy a new pewamp, or whatever?
    3) will I get the beautiful warm tone from these pickups that this bass naturally gives out?

thanx guys......as you can tell, I'm new here. I did a search, but none of the questions were answered the way I wanted

B

2. GrooveDude said...

Ok I have a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Five string.

I am going to buy Bartolinis to replace my current pickups. Here are the questions I have

1) How easy is it to by yourself?
    2) I already have active electronics, is it just a pickup swap, or should I buy a new pewamp, or whatever?
    3) will I get the beautiful warm tone from these pickups that this bass naturally gives out?

thanx guys......as you can tell, I'm new here. I did a search, but none of the questions were answered the way I wanted

Welcome, Groove.

I have an MIM Jazz Deluxe - the preamp is the same so I think I can answer this for you. I put a set of quad-coil Bartolinis (9W4) in my Jazz - it took me way less than an hour.

I found it was pretty easy and I have just average soldering skills. The Barts I installed integrated well with the stock Fender preamp so all I had to do was connect up a few wires. I did have to make a new ground wire or two but that wasn't a big deal. Fenders use two wires off the pickups and Bartolini uses shielded wire so you'll find that you can't use the same grounding points but it's not a big deal.

Once you get the pickguard and the control plate off it'll make sense. Take the pots out of the control plate because it's kinda tight in there and if the pots are loose you'll have more room. You solder the hot leads to the volume pots in the same locations as the old ones and find a new place to solder the ground leads and you'll be golden.

Tone? If you're looking for warm tone I think you'll be happy.

Good luck!

allan

3. thanx for the info.......btw how much did you pay for your Barts?

B

4. I got mine for $139 plus shipping from Tim's Guitar Workshop. The URL to the pickups is

http://store.yahoo.com/timsguitarworkshop/bar9w4jazsty.html.

I got the 9W4 quad-coil pickups.

One thing - it's a good idea anytime you order Bartolini hardware to call the vendor and check stock rather than ordering from the Internet. Bill Bartolini makes amazing hardware but he's so busy that you can wait months for his stuff - especially if you have a custom application. The place I got mine had them in stock and I understand he has a pretty good line on Jazz pickups.

But - his retail store price is higher than his Internet price so I had to remind him what the price was. He's a fast shipper and I had the pickups in less than a week.

Good luck!

allan

5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    What pickups for MIM Deluxe V? Are there any at all that will possibly work?

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Bump.