Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Mesa RR 2x15 speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Mar 15, 2003.

1. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    what would you replace yours with? i think i am going to make it 4 ohms as well, now it's 8.

thanks, dave

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Does it have EVs in it now?

I really like EVMs...

You could go with Eminence Kappa Pro 15LFs. Dave at Avatar has great prices...better than Parts Express. They come in 4 and 8 ohm impedances.

If you want to get fancy, you could lower the tuning frequency in the cabinet by extending the port shelf. The Kappa Pro 15LFs would love you for it.

Besides desiring a 4 ohm cabinet, what don't you like about it now?

3. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    well, it's getting warmer here in stl, and my cabs were at our unheated practice space for the winter, and i thought about replacing the 15's, making it a 4 ohm cab and just using one cab.

i got it used and it had one driver replaced. i am figuring the speakers are pretty old, anyway.

does anyone know what kind of EV's are in there anyway? one has EV written in white, while the other is in yellow.

thanks, dave

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Those cabs came with EVM 15L's. I'd recommend replacing with the same since those cabs were designed for them.

5. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    where can i buy some replacements? any advice is helpful. i want to make it 4 ohms and with as much power handling as possible.

dave

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Below is a link explaining the difference between parallel and series speaker connections. Order two 8 ohm speakers and hook them up parallel and you have a 4 ohm cab. For replacements call Washington Music @ (301)946-8808. Be sure you get the ElectroVoice EVM 15L's and NOT the EVM 15B's. I believe they still make these speakers in a 200 watt and a 400 watt version which is called the ProLine.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    thanks for all of your help!

dave