Replacing my 15 - SWR Working Man

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jan 21, 2003.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Present rig

1000 watt Carvin Power Amp
    Ashley Pre-amp
    dbx 160 comp/limt.

I was running this to a Trace Elliot 2x10 rated at 200 8ohms, then running a cable from that to a SWR Working Man's 15 @200 watts 8ohms. I was told doing this would be running "Parallel" creating a 4ohm "draw" from my power amp. In other words all 1000 watts were being used, 500 to each cab I assume, I thought things would be ok as long as I did not turn it up. At rehearsal I think I blew my 15. I need to replace it.

1. Whats the best 15 bass speaker made right now?
    2. How many watts should I have it rated at, if I use my present set up?
    3. Is my set up flawed?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    An 8ohm cab run in parallel with a 4ohm cab has a final ohm rating of 2.67.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd say that those two cabs are inadequate for a 1000w amp. Here's the essential question - what's your budget?

If the sky's the limit (you do ask what's the best 15 on the market). Then it's easy. Let somebody post a reply to this thread that convinces you that brand X is best, then go cut a check (actually listening to the cab first is not a bad idea [hint]). Keep in mind that you're shopping for a new 2x10, too - for that many watts, a 4x10 would be something to really look at, too. You're probably looking at somewhere around $1500 or even more, if you decide the best is also the most expensive.

If you're on a really tight budget, you could just get that 15 reconed for about $75, and look at ways of keeping things down to 400 watts. If it's a stereo power amp, you could just run one side, for example. Find a way (not always easy) to hook the cabs up so that the amp is loaded at 8 ohms instead of 4. Neither of these solutions might get you down to 400 watts, but it could be enough when combined with a bit of restraint on the volume. Or you could do a temporary swap with someone you know for a lesser powered amp, as long as you could trust them to take care of yours. Reclaim it when you've got the budget to invest in speakers to match it.

Obviously, these are two extremes - plenty of other options in between. ;)
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    first of all why do you think it is blown?
    second: you can run 4000 watts into a 200 watt cab and still be fine. the head isn't always running at 1000 watts.
    more people damage there cabs by not running enough watts into than to much.
    it probaly didn't have anything to do with the amp having 100 watts.

have you checked the cab with another amp?
    have you checked to see if it is just a loose wire in the back or a bad connecter?

make sure that it is blown first before you go buy a new one.

and i would try to sell the cab empty then buy an avatar cab instead.

just me tho'.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    and also he only had 4 ohms to his amp.
    8 and 8 equals 4.