1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing my aging Eden WT-300, with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hunta, Aug 21, 2007.

1. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hey guys. I have an Eden WT-300 paired with a 410t cab which I've had for a long time. I have been feeling for a while that I need to get something new. The WT-300 is just not enough power, plus the enhance (suck) knob broke off and Eden customer service is having a hard time figuring out what part it is I need to replace it (it's a 1996 head, and I guess they don't have a record of what parts were in it??? lol.. They told me they would have to ask David Eden because nobody else would know.)

I've been holding off a bit because I'd like to get my head + speakers in saleable condition (which with a broken knob they are not). I'm getting so frustrated with it though that I just want to throw down some cash and get a better sounding amp, and sell my current stuff on craigslist later.

What would people recommend? I play a lot of finger style funk + slap, so I would like a punchy and warm sounding amp. I would like something which isn't a nightmare to dial in a good sound (my Eden seems to have good days and bad days, sometimes it sounds awesome, sometimes nothing I do will make it sound right). I've recently been aquiring a bunch of effects, but generally I use a clean sound.

I haven't exactly decided what my budget is yet. I'm thinking around $700-$800 for a head, and I'm not sure what to do about a speaker cabinet. I was looking at maybe a Markbass LMII, Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II, and some other higher price range things like Thunderfunk. Is there anything else I should be checking out? I'm not totally unwilling to spend more money if it will get me the right setup.

Should I replace the 410t? I never hear people saying anything good about it, just that it isn't as good as a 410xlt. I'd love to get rid of it because regardless of how it sounds, the thing is just huge and I'm tired of carrying it around. It sounds like a lot of people are happy with an LMII and smaller 2 speaker cabs, is this really enough power to be a main setup? I'm not really gigging at the moment so I'm hesitant to get a new rig and then find out in a couple months that it's not beefy enough for shows and it's too late to return.

I may swing by a Guitar Center and check out the LMII later (it just sounds like it might be right from reading opinions on TB). The Markbass speaker cabs aren't that great right? What should I try it through that they'd stock at GC?

Sorry for rambling a bit :) I am feeling pretty retarded about all this but I definitely need to get a new rig.

2. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    Enhance knob can easily be replaced by a local shop.
    Got a buddy who works as a electronics tech?
    More power and punchy, I'd go GK1000. Good deals on used
    GK's. Check Craigs list in your area.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The LMII is a good amp, or you could just move up to an Eden WT-550... great amp, bullet-proof down to 2 ohms at 750 watts, and would sound great wsith your 410T.

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hmm. I was going to have an electronics guy I know at work do it, I probably could do it myself but I'd be scared to mess it up :) I cringe at having to pay $50 or something to get a knob fixed on an amp I'm just going to sell anyway, but gawd Eden is a pain to get through their call system (hold, you're next in line!, wait an hour, please hold we'll get to you soon! you're next in line!)...
    I'm really hesitant to get another GK. A long long time ago I had a GK setup and it sounded really flat and bland to me. It wasn't a top of the line rig or anything (Can't remember exactly the model, GK head and a 410 cab). Maybe I'll give one a whirl just to see.
    I don't know if I ever want to get Eden gear again. I'm sure the WT-550 is a good head, but their customer support is so horrible! I do like the sound with Eden generally, but I think there's probably a better option for me out there. I just dunno what it is yet :)

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Get a rack and a power amp to add some poop to what you have now. Keep what you own. There is nothing any better on the market to speak of, unless your spending big dollars. Ten years from now, all the kids will be fighting for what you already have now. Hard to beat, what already sounds good.

6. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Maybe true :) Can you maybe educate me a bit about adding a power amp to the WT-300? What kind of things should I be looking at? I do like the WT-300 generally, if I could take the sound I get out of it on a good day, and pump the volume up a bit, I think I'd be happy.

If a power amp will work, then maybe I could just get the WT-300 serviced and I won't feel so bad about it.

7. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    You could also sell the WT-300 to me as is!

8. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    $1,000,000!!!! Muahahahahahahahahahaha :eek:

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Eden use to offer a WT-400 upgrade for the WT-300...they upgraded the power section and put defeat on the compressor. Maybe they still offer it.

10. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    On their site it says "Eden Upgrades 3/20/2006 Upgrade services are temporarily unavailable." So I'm guessing not.. I think I probably need more power than 400 watts anyway.

What should I be looking at here? I see Eden has the WT-1250 power amp for $1,199, which is a little out of the range I wanted to spend... If I'm getting a power amp should I stick with Eden? I saw a post on the eden forum http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9647&SearchTerms=power+amp with a guy hooking the WT-300 up to a WT-1000 (replaced by the WT-1250). That looks like a nice setup... I don't know what to do lol...

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Eden WT550 hd. and a Eden 210XST cab., or, Eden WT550 hd. and two Eden 210XST cabs, or Eden WT550 hd. and one Eden 210XST and one Eden 210XLT cabs, or, a WT550 through your 410 cab....or....the best sounding rig I've ever played through....a Eden WT800 hd. through a Eden 610XLT....or....my personal set-up.....WT550 with an Eden 215XLT.

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Eden quit the up-grades. I doubt they will be back at all. Any power amp will do ya. Just depends on how much power you want. The only thing to remember, is to use your headphone out jack, as the preamp out to the power amp. It's the only jack out, that Eden left to use, that has enough power to use as a preamp signal. That means you have to run a patch cord around to the back of the rack, and ibto the power amp. Personally, I run a Carvin DCM2500. Thats 800 watts per cab at 4 ohms each. That of course is all up to your cabs, and how much power you want. Still has the great Eden sound, just with alot more watts. I love it myself. Good Luck!

13. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Ok maybe a stupid question (but I'll go for it)... I have an old Carvin R1000 head. Can I use that as a power amp for my WT-300?? The R1000 has an EQ bypass button on it...

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There are quite a few Thunderfunk's coming up used now, and they are just amazing. A used TF550a would be well within your price range, and Dave's customer service is amazing if you would ever have a problem. The newer B versions have a few more bells and whistles, but they sound virtually identical IMO.

I played through a WT300 (upgraded to a WT400 way back in the day), and it's a great head. The TF will be louder (not massively so, but noticeably), quicker and tighter, but still warm. The main difference to me is the low end, where the Eden has a little bit of tube bloom to it, while the TF is a little more compressed and 'hit you in the chest' sounding.

I personally LOVE the LMII... but it's quite a different thing from the WT300 and the TF... more modern and crisp. It has a much wider low end than the TF (deeper, but not tube bloomy like the WT300), and MUCH more upper treble response than the TF. I can actually dial in a tone relatively similar to the TF on my LMII, but cannot mimic the 'flat' LMII tone on the TF.

So... if you are looking for more mid punch and articulation than your Eden, and don't really care much about upper treble sizzle (e.g., the Marcus slap tone), the TF is amazing.

If you want to go even more 'modern'... punchy, but also more deep bass and sizzly treble if you need it, the LMII is hard to beat.

I have not tried either of these heads with any Eden cab... so can't help there.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try a Genz Benz I'd say, if you wanna spend 800 bucks. Might get a used 750 for that.

16. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Yea, I've had my eye on the Thunderfunk. It "sounds" like a good head, but I'd be a little wary because I haven't actually heard one. I don't believe any dealers around here have any I could check out.
    I think I know what you mean. I'd love to be able to A/B some of these heads... lol. I know the sound I want, just don't know where to get it :)
    Yea, if I get to the point where I'm really close to buying an LMII I'll probably "borrow" one from guitar center and check it out on my Eden 410 and just bring it back if it isn't right.

I'd really like to know if I can chain the WT-300 into my Carvin R1000 though! If anyone knows :) That would be a great solution (free!), I would just test it out but I'm in DC and my R1000 is up in NY so I'd have to drive up and get it :)

17. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I took at look at this manual online (I assume it applies to your R1000).

https://www.carvin.com/manuals/R600-R1000-seriesIII.pdf

You should be able to patch into the R1000 power amp by running a cable from the WT300 headphone output to the R1000 effects return jack. The manual says that the effects return is after the main effects and compressor but before the graphic eq. You could just set the graphic eq flat. Looks like it might also be possible to use the preamp insert jacks but I'm not familiar with the R1000 (I do have a WT300 by the way and love it. Don't need the extra power though). I'd try the effects return first.

18. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Cool. Yea I took a look at the manual and it "looked like" it would work.. Just wanted to confirm with more knowledgable peeps on here :) I don't want to blow a weekend driving to upstate NY if it's not going to work or will blow up my speakers or something!

What kind of speakers do you have your WT300 hooked up to? I've never hooked mine up to any other cabs than my Eden 410.

19. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    Check out a Mesa Walkabout.

I used to own a WT400. I tried the Walkabout when they where introduced about five or six years ago because I had a feeling it would be a good amp; it was. I liked it so much that I got rid of the Eden.

The Walkabout has a very uncolored tone and I leave the EQ almost totally flat. As compared to the Eden which has a somewhat scooped mid-range.

It's also got plenty of power. It's conservatively rated at 300 watts, but it can operate with no problem at 2 ohms. So it's actually much more powerful. I've never had to push mine anywhere near clipping. I run mine at 4 ohms.

The Walkabout sounds good for all styles.

It even fits nicely into the Eden gig bag.

Try one at GC.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

The last time I tried a 410T I actually found I preferred it over the D410XLT because it was a much tighter sounding cab. If yours is in decent shap I think you might be surprised with the difference in sound output between running it with the WT300 and the $599 Markbass Little Mark II.