Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing my amp with a good muli effects unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maui-san, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Hello everyone, I would greatly appreciate your opinions on this issue.

I have a 300 watt Trace head, but I don't have a cabinet. I bought that Trace a few years ago for gigging, but before I had the money to buy a cab my band broke up...so I never bought it.

Now I'm playing in a band again and I'm taking a critical look at my equipment. I recently purchased a 10-string Chapman Stick :D and I also play a Carvin LB75 and a fretless ABG. There are two things I may want to add, some effects and/or a cab. I don't have too much to spend though (because of that Stick).

Now I'm thinking of selling the Trace and buying a good multi effects unit with digital amp modelling like the Boss gt-6b or a Line 6 POD. That way I can go through the PA, hear myself through the monitors, have all the effects I want and don't need to carry an amp at all!!

What do you think, should I replace the Trace for a good multi effects unit? And if so, which unit? Or should I keep the Trace, save money for a cab and not think of buying any effects soon? Remember, I'm on a tight budget...

Thanks.

2. Don't do it. Modelling is like having monkeys play along with your bass. Stay with a rich and analog source then effect from there. Just my opinion.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    +1 . Keep your setup and just get a cheap Zoom or Digitech mutiefects unit to mess with so you can decide exactly what you want out of effects and then buy some higher-end effects later.