1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing my amp with a good muli effects unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maui-san, Jan 7, 2003.

  1. Hello everyone, I would greatly appreciate your opinions on this issue.

    I have a 300 watt Trace head, but I don't have a cabinet. I bought that Trace a few years ago for gigging, but before I had the money to buy a cab my band broke up...so I never bought it.

    Now I'm playing in a band again and I'm taking a critical look at my equipment. I recently purchased a 10-string Chapman Stick :D and I also play a Carvin LB75 and a fretless ABG. There are two things I may want to add, some effects and/or a cab. I don't have too much to spend though (because of that Stick).

    Now I'm thinking of selling the Trace and buying a good multi effects unit with digital amp modelling like the Boss gt-6b or a Line 6 POD. That way I can go through the PA, hear myself through the monitors, have all the effects I want and don't need to carry an amp at all!!

    What do you think, should I replace the Trace for a good multi effects unit? And if so, which unit? Or should I keep the Trace, save money for a cab and not think of buying any effects soon? Remember, I'm on a tight budget...

  2. Don't do it. Modelling is like having monkeys play along with your bass. Stay with a rich and analog source then effect from there. Just my opinion.
  3. bassackwards

    bassackwards Member

    Dec 16, 2002
    +1 . Keep your setup and just get a cheap Zoom or Digitech mutiefects unit to mess with so you can decide exactly what you want out of effects and then buy some higher-end effects later.