1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing my amp with a stage monitor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwknives, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    I was looking at the specs of the JBL PRX715 and it has very similar low end performance to the SVT 8x10 both in frequency response, frequency range and dB levels.

Why could one not replace their SVT frig with a Tech-21, an EQ and a JBL PRX715?

JBL PRX715
    Max SPL Output: 136 dB
    Frequency Range (-10 dB): 42.9 Hz - 19.5 kHz
    Frequency response (-3 dB): 58.1 Hz - 17.2 kHz

SVT 8x10
    Maximum SPL: 130dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10 dB): 40Hz
    Frequency Response (-3 dB): 58Hz-5kHz

Obviously the tone of the JBL is going to be different but as far as room filling bass both should be equal right?

It seems that the JBL would be much easier to haul around and set up.

2. No way those specs are real. A 115 PA main hitting 136db? At what frequency?

If you were going to run a PA main, you would need a sub, and the associated amplification needed to run them together.

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Why would he need a sub? I believe the frequency response listed but I do agree that in the real world the speaker wouldn't have 136 db SPL.

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    lwknives you might not even need an EQ. I have played with a Eden WTDI ran directly into a PRX512m cab and it sounded good.

5. From my experiance, those PRX cabs sound really good, but are NOT going to give me the response I want out of them in the low end. Not enough cab around the speaker go do what I want out of them.

I would want to see a response chart.

6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    why not try a fEarful?
    Those are going to respond well to bass, but remain uncoloured like your PA speaker.
    Just a thought.

7. What's the issue with the claimed SPL? In fact, it's not that difficult to get that kind of output from HF drivers - the thing is that feeding it with a bass guitar will give much, much lower output. The other cab has an upper limit of 5K, and all it's energy is down the bottom. The PA cab covers the full range, so isn't really going to do the same job. The 15" driver crosses over at 1.7KHz, so will sound very different. Indeed, they recommend adding the PRX700 sub if you want decent bass - which rather confirms the diagnosis!

8. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Yah, I couldnt find a response chart.

I wouldnt need it to go anywhere near 136 dB.

9. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    The fearful doesnt have a built in amp, it is more expensive and I cant find any data on the frequency response.

I am also considering them though I just cant find much info on them other than rave reviews.

10. Right it is easy to get loud in the upper register. It is very difficult to get that kind of volume in the lows. So, if they are claiming that max volume, I want to know at what frequency. If it can get loud at 3khz, but doesnt give me content below 100hz, I dont want the cab.

11. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    From what Ive seen in the spec sheet they have the same low end frequency response.

The SVT is my favorite sounding amp, and it doesnt have a lower response than the JBL.

12. hey man, i've done it, and it's fine.
    sure, it's not earth shaking sub-sonic bowel moving thunder like you might desire, but it sounds fine.
    I ran my tone hammer into one of those at several gigs where I was backing a couple singers who had no need for super boom boom, just some nice bass lines. and if you have some additional PA support, you can DI into that and still have good sound on stage.

And yes, much easier to haul around.

13. How do you know? Have you seen response charts for both?

14. lwknives

lwknives

May 6, 2012
    Just going off the info in my original post.

Both had a lower frequency range (-10) of around 40 Hz.

I guess that could be 100dB -10dB and 110dB -10dB, neither one said.

I couldnt find the response chart for the JBL.