replacing my bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 17, 2003.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I recently got a MIM Fender jazz and it came with an upgraded bridge. I wanted to put the stock bridge back on, but I'm having some problems. I screwed it into place, and when I put the strings back on they're too tight against the fretboard. I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I suppose the bass isn't correctly intonated. please someone give me a step-by-step process on how to do this. Thanks

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    When you stay they're too tight against the fretboard, do you mean that the strings are closer to the fretboard than with the previous bridge, meaning that the action is lower, or that the intonation adjustment screws are all the way back on the bridge and the intonation is still sharp when checked at the twelve fret?

I suspect, just my "womans intuition" here, that you're referring to the fact that the spacing between the strings and the fingerboard is now less than before, resulting in lower action and possible buzzing on certain frets, etc. All you need to do in this instance is to raise the bridge saddles via the two allen keys on each saddle until the action is where you want it with no fret buzzing. Once that is done you can adjust the intonation.

Final caveat: If you're not familiar and/or comfortable with these adjustments, take it to a local guitar repair shop and have them do a $20 setup on it. They'll check the neck for proper relief, any high frets, that the nut is shaped properly and has the proper height, then the'll check the bridge for proper string height and intonation. It'll play the best it ever has after a quick setup. Some shops might charge a little more for a setup if they hafta do a lot of fret work, etc.