Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing my cab with a pa..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i've heard befor people saying that instead of buying a cab...that i shud just buy a pa (im the bands singer) and di my head into the pa...and not bother with a cab..
    i was wondering how this works, and would it sound good?
    thanks...

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It works fine if you buy a good PA and have a good sound guy running it. Be sure to allow for a separate monitor mix for your bass, since you'll probably want more me in your mix.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    but if im unexperienced as far as PAs go..wud it be foolish?

4. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Yes it would be foolish. It won't work well unless all the pieces are in place.
    Monitors, sound guy, good main speakers, good power amps etc...
    Get a nice bass rig to play through.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Personally, I'd still keep a little kickback amp or something like that for a personal monitor, and I'm very experienced with PA setup and operation. The idea is fine, but you'll need good (read: expensive) monitors to get clean bass on stage, and you'll probably want at at least a couple of monitor mixes, which means more $$$, and more things to keep track of. Another drawback is that if you have a smallish PA, you don't want bass sucking all the headroom out of the system. Typically, you go vocals-only instead, if you don't have a very powerful system.

All of this depends on what style you play, how loud you are, and what venues you're playing. Are you playing out at this point?

6. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm with Passinwind on this. I began life as a sound guy and just started playing bass recently. At any rate, there's nothing that disturbs me more than seeing the bass go in the monitors. Unless you get really high quality (read: more expensive than a decent bass cab) monitors, you're just not going to get good quality bass out of them, not to mention that you're working your monitors much harder and adding one more thing to clutter up your monitor mix.

On the other hand, depending on the size of your room, amount of PA power, etc, running the bass through the PA for the house may well be exactly what you want to do. This allows your sound guy to always have the control he needs to put out a good mix.

7. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    mostly hall gigs or bars..
    we play punk rock..hardcore..a little influence of metal..
    i think i may just save up and buy a pa..and keep my cab.

but by next year im going to complelete my rig with a 4x10 GK and a 2x10 GK cabinet setup with my yorkville ontop..unless i upgrade from the xs400h.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    dude. i play in a hardcore band. do not, i repeat, do not, get a ncie pa.

buy an ampeg 610hlf or an 810e.

you will NEVER need to be mic'd at a ha;;, and if you happen to play a small bar or club, you can get put in the mix, but it will suck.

i hate being directed in, or mic'd. it sucks. unless you have an amazing pa system, that can dupe your sound coming off your cab, its not worth it, just by a nice rig and be done with it.

ampeg head + ampeg cab = perfect hc tone.

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey..thats kool
    im certianly gonna go bigger than my current 4x10...i want atleast a 6x10...but the ampeg 6x10 cab wud be a nightmare to gig..so i think the gk 4x10 & 2x10 wud be better for me..
    im not muscled man...

so you think in hardcore the point of the PA shud just be for vocals..
    cause we've used other bands one at shows..but we need our own..and i was wondernig if i shud get a nice one and sell my rig...or get a cheap one and get a nice rig..

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    honestly, the pa thing, should be a mute point.

the 610 is cake for gigging. i had an 810, which was awesome, but getting in and out of the band van sucked. so i down size to the 610hlf. it has skid rails for going up stairs. two diesel handles on the side for lifting. honestly, if you are going to go up, the 610 is going to blow any 4x10 and 2x10 combination away.

11. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thats pretty awesome man...
    115 pounds is alot for a scrony guy like me..
    how much did u pay for it...
    how much do u think i cud get for it used?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah ima bit bigger so its easier for me.

new they are 950. my boy bought one, and sold it to me for 700 because its used and he just wanted to upgrade to a 2 12 aguilar cabinet.

so yeah, you can look online for them. honestly. its only like 99 lbs. with a little help from the band mates, its defintely worth the extra weight for all that great tone you will get.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    115lbs is not worth it, IMO.

I would NOT reccomend a PA to put your bass through... however, a powered mixer is what drives my home studio, and gives us vocal ability at house party gigs and such.

I play hardcore and metalcore. Ampeg is ok... but to me, they're better suited for classic types of sounds... (especially the SVT cabs). I would go with a Pre-Power setup and a pair of Avatar cabs. I plan on getting the Sansamp RBI... because I heard the BDDI in concert when I saw Every Time I Die last week... and I was very impressed :cool: I like going back and forth from clean and distorted sound.

That setup would be cheap and lightweight... and the sound would be plenty good. You wont need a roadie or help from everyone in your band to carry it around.

www.avatarspeakers.com

And definately go pre-power. More power.... less money... why not?

14. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    sounds like i might have to start saving for one..
    does it have the wheels on the back like the 8x10s do..so u can pull the handle back and wheel it on the back wheels?
    so i cud get one used for like 800 - 900 canadian?

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    sans amp, with a power amp is a good hardcore set up.

my ampeg, doesnt sound classic at all with my p-bass. it sounds awesome. nice punchy sound cutting through the guitars with the mids scooper. its butter. but yeah. power amp with a sans amp is also a good thing.

16. If you're in a big-time band with roadies and plenty of money for a PA, sure, forget the bass rig and go strictly through the PA. Or if you're playing through a house PA that's already got a good setup.

Now let's get back to the real world, where most of the time the band must tote their own PA to the gig. To run bass through the PA, you need big heavy subwoofers, and really good monitors as previously mentioned with a separate monitor mix (another monitor send plus an amp). Plus a subwoofer amp, and a crossover in between the board and the amps. Now you also need a bigger truck to haul all this extra gear, and a little more time to set it up, not to mention the extra money it costs to buy this stuff. Oh and did I mention how big and heavy subwoofers are? In cause you didn't get the point, did I mention how big and heavy the subwoofers are?

So instead of hauling 100 pounds of bass rig (cab plus head), the "improvement" is hauling a couple of 150 pound subs plus the extra amps, monitors, crossovers, cables, etc.

Yes, it sounds great to be running all the instruments through a kick-a$$ PA. But it's not practical in a lot of situations IMHO.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Exactly. My PA is currently 600W with the speakers I have... and I cant imagine it supporting anything more than drums and vox as of now. I'll need more than a pair of 10's to carry bass.

It's really just not worth it. As for putting together a bass rig... its all gonna depend on your preference. Ampeg, Avatar, GK, Schroeder, and (maybe) SWR are your top selections for Metal or Hardcore.

A Schroeder could probably be all you'd ever need... cost about the same as a fridge cab... and be almost 30lbs lighter. Take a look at every brand before you commit. These things take a while... but the more time you take, the better the outcome. :)

18. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    k thanks alot for ur help
    ill stick with the rig and buy a pa at a later time