Replacing my Fender MIM Jazz's pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ilikebadmusic, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Anyone know what I should go for? Are Fender's Custom Shop J pickups good? I'm trying to get my MIM J to sound as much like a Vintage J as I can, without paying the vintage price :/
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yup... sound great!

3. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'm surpised more people haven't chimed in with their fav jazz pickups. There are a ton to choose from, and there's a old Bass Player magazine test of a ton of jazz pickups that is pretty helpful.

I put Fender "Original '62s" in my MIM Jazz fretless, and they certainly have that vintage vibe. A friend of mine has Seymour duncan Antiquities II's , and his bass sound great too.
  4. AHHA

Oct 16, 2000
    I was given a real Gem from the Fender Custom shop last year. One of my best looking/ best feeling J basses with almost no dead spots. Only problem was the sound. First thing I did was go to Roger Sadowsky in Brooklyn and get the preamp ripped out and replaced with a Sadowsky special. I even left the original pick ups in. What a difference. I also use the outboard preamp for my P basses with original pick ups. Awsome. But, for replacing pick ups, I go to BassLines.

PS. The aguilar preamps are great too.

Life is WAY too short ...:cool:
  5. Older MIMs are equipped with two bridge pickups. This will mean rerouting if you want to fit CS60s.
  6. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I think that comparing the pickups from a MIM Jazz to those in a Fender Custom Shop Jazz isn't really fair. The MIM is a entry-level instrument, and the Custom Shop one is really the top of the line. The pickups are certainly different, and I'm not surprised that the Custom shop bass sounded great with a Sadowsky preamp, but then a *lot* of basses sound better with the Sadowsky preamp...

My MIM came with two equal sized pickups, and I didn't have to do any routing to get the Original 62's to fit. I read a lot of posts about this topic before I purchased my pickups and it generally sounds like the tolerances in pickup routs in the MIM basses varies enough that sometimes you need to rout, and sometimes you don't. YMMV. Of course, the new ones with "norma" Jazz bass pickups don't have this problems.

The pick guard, however, doesn't line up that well with the new neck pickup, but a bit of gentle shaving with a knife or Dremel tool fixes that easily.
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have Fralins in my Lakland Joe Osborn. That it is a sweet sweet sound.

I have also used Bill Lawrence in another bass that I built. In fact, I parted out that bass and sold everything except for the Bill Lawrence pups. I still have them and plan to use them in another bass. I really like them.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Speaking aof Sadowsky preamp's why not get Sadowsky J's. Theu come in either single coil or humcancelling & they sound KILLER!!!!!!