Replacing my Glockenklang Double (2x12)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, May 11, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    My main rig is a GK 700RB w/ Glockenklang Double (2×12) and I really like the sound: Very solid and focused lows, fast response, very clear highs, sounding very 'alive' over all.
    But now I need something between this and my GK MB150 Combo (using the Double and the MB150 for almost 20 years now...)
    I'm thinking of a set up with two 112s which should be light and small but also have the potential to replace the Glockenklang.
    First attempt: Eich 112 Combo (TecAmp Puma succesor) with additional 112 cab. Perfect in size and weight but unfotunately I don't like the sound.
    So what next?
    GK NEO 112? I tried one in a shop and liked it much better than the Markbass and Tech21 112s they had there.
    Orange OBC 112? Still lighter and smaller than the NEO, but I haven't heard one yet...
    Any further recommendations?
    Thanks!
    Edit: max. weight 14kg/30lbs - that eliminates options like Ampeg, Fender and also the 112s by Glockenklang...
    P1020992_edited.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    So my original idea was replacing both my small and large rig with a modular set up with 2 112s and a class D amp.
    I think I've found a 'TB conform' solution now:
    I keep both rigs and buy a GK Legacy and a 112 :D (and a second one maybe later)
    I'm still torn between the GK Neo 112 and the Orange OBC 112 though ...

3. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Since you like the Double a lot, why not try the Glockenklang Space, or Space Art - or a pair of them?

Wisebass, Helge_Glock and Matthias like this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Good point. I ruled them out first because they are rather heavy and I need one really light weight rig. But now that I have decided to keep the Microbass anyway....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. The Glock 2x12 I tested out 8 years ago blew me away. Sounded like nothing else. What an amazingly defined tone it has! Unfortunately for you, it might be tough to replicate with other cabs. A pair of 1x12 cabs is a great way to go - you just need to find a set that sounds good to your tone.

Wisebass and Matthias like this.
  6. bklee

bklee Supporting Member

Have you tried Barefaced? Their cabs are light and great-sounding.

ELG60, Matthias and P_Robyn like this.
  7. Nope - never tried them. I’m loving my Aguilar DB cabs too much at the moment. I have an Epifani NYC 410 for when I want a more “rock” tone.

I’ve gone thru plenty of cabs over the years: GK, Eden, GB, SWR, fEarLess, Ampeg, etc. My Aguilar cabs are doing it for me now BUT, I can still hear the tone of the Glock 2x12 (non-US version) I tried out many years ago. I used the same bass and head and cycled thru all the cabs the shop had. The Glock had it’s own color. It also had a high price that I just couldn’t justify at the time.

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I've read a lot about them but haven't seen or tried one yet...