Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing my J-bass pup's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, May 31, 2002.

1. I have a sweet MIJ fretless jazz that I am wanting to replace the pickups. What would be the best sounding pickup to put in this bass. I am looking for something with a little more output, I don't want to go active. I would want something that would open up that fretless sound .... I am looking for something with nice clean highs and clear mids with a tight low end? I was thinking of the SD Antiquity II or the Di Marzio Model-J. Or maybe the Fender CS 60's. please let me know what you think would be the best pickup for this bass.... Thanks!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    While I don't have a fretless J, my MIA's pickups were kinda thin. I popped in a set of DiMarzio Model Js (model 123?) and WOW! Magor increase in output with similar tone (ie. it still sounds like a J). I like 'em!

3. My new set of DiMarzio Model J arrived in last night's mail from Musician's Friend ($100 including shipping). I'm very impressed just looking at them. Very well made, heavy, and they come with adjustable height pole pieces.

Also, the Model J are bi-lateral humbuckers, so they offer true single coil tone with the humbucking noise reduction. They come as a 4-wire set, meaning a $4 Radio Shack DPDT submini toggle switch will let you switch them between Series and Parallel wiring, same as my RB5. This offers a significant change in tone.

The Model J roll off the highs by design, and favor the lows and mids. Switching to Parallel mode enhances the highs. My pair are going into my MIM J fretless, along with a J-Retro preamp. The intent is to have a grinding J tone that works well with fretless. DiMarzio claims the Model J is just the ticket for fretless.

4. Bgavin, Sound good But I don't want add a toggle switch of any kind.

5. Then don't add one. Wire them in series.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not even push-pull pots? No new holes, and it'd still look original.

I have the push-pulls, but haven't installed them yet. I simply wired my Js in series for right now.

7. I am using toggles because mine is getting a J-Retro, and I don't have the option of push pull pots. My RB5 has toggles, and that suits me fine. YMMV.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    J-Retro - yum!

9. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I replaced the stocks in my MIM-J fretless with Aero's. They sound great! A little more pricey then DiMarzio DP-123's. They run into a J-Retro preamp. The sweepable mid on the J-Retro is perfect for fretless. Highly recommended.