Replacing my SR800 mid frequency selector for a Passive/Active Switch (Question)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by agepejota, Aug 21, 2022.

1. agepejota

agepejota

Aug 21, 2022
    Hey! How's it going? I just bought my first bass (Yay). It's an 2017 Ibanez SR800.
    I was thinking about replacing the Mid selector with an Active/Passive switch, mostly to have a plan B, just in case I run out of batteries during a gig.
    First of all, is that a possibilty with the Bartolini Mk1 pickups?

2. It should be possible but it might also be possible to swap the volume or another potentiometer for a push / pull and use that for the bypass and keep your mid selector. Can you post a picture of the control cavity?

I believe the MK1 pickups are passive. Is there a red wire from the battery going to the pickup routes?

3. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Maybe, maybe not. Without knowing the circuit it's impossible to know. Nonetheless, you'll need someone with good electronics knowledge to pull it off.

I'm also not sure of the actual need for this mod as I unplug when not in use, and check and replace (if necessary) batteries before a gig. In nearly 40y of using active basses, I've never had a battery die during a gig, and have never bothered adding this to any of my basses, including any of my 6 SR Ibanezes.

MK1s are passive to the best of my knowledge.

4. MidlifeBeginner

MidlifeBeginner

Jul 7, 2022
    I am working on the wiring for a 2018 SR300E right now. Many of the components are the same. You need to keep the mid switch plugged in for the preamp to work. You can tuck the module in the cavity, but will be tight.

All the Ibanez electronics are in modules with connectors.

Switched passive will give no tone control. Bypass after the pickup balancer. When engaged, switch should take signal direct to the jack, and cut the battery ground from the jack. So, switch should be DPDT. One pole for signal and one pole for battery ground.

5. MidlifeBeginner

MidlifeBeginner

Jul 7, 2022
    It is actually after the volume that you bypass. Either way, you will see the Input cable going to the preamp. I anez was nice and labeled the board.

Bypassing to hear what it would sound like passive just requires two jumper wires like used with electronics learning kits. Unplug the Input and Output cables from the preamp and jump them together.