Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing my standard pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Anti_Social, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    I'll be the first to admit, I don't know all too much about the fundamental workings of my bass. I have an Ibanez Btb405, and play as a hobby, and as an aspiring musician. My band records next month, and I'm contemplating getting a new pickup to help improve sound a little.

I think the standard pickup that came with the bass is quite good as is. It sounds good live, and on a recording through the pa system, it also sounded good. But since there will be a digital recording, I'm not so sure. When I play, I play heavy, and tend to get a clicky sound, no matter what my eq and tone settings are. So, I was thinking about picking up a humbucker, perferably active, since I already have an active setup in mine. I play hard rock, but use all of my 5 strings. Any, and all information/suggestions is appreciated. Also, if someone knows of an online guide I could study over to get more in-depth info on bass care (as far as truss rods, intonation, etc) that would care to link me to, I'd also be quite appreciative. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Don't repair what isn't broken.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Word!

If you are worried about clicky sound when you are playing, that is a matter of technique. No pickups (afaik) can fix that once and for all.

I noticed also that you are worried about that the sound will carry through in digital recording. Well, it won´t be any more noticable than in analog recording. These little noises will get lost in the mix anyway.
    If you were to listen to only the bass track on many songs with good bassists, you´d be surprised to hear the extra sounds that are also present.

For setup questions, well, you are in the wrong forum for that one, but here is a nice link: http://www.mrgearhead.com/