Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing my Stingray pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamhampton, Apr 17, 2002.

1. jamhampton

jamhampton

Apr 16, 2002
    Im having a basslines alnico pickup installed in my stingray to try and remedy the weak G problem and hopefully get it to sound more like the original stingrays of the 70's. A Tech at Seymour Duncan suddgested to have the pickup wired in parallel rather that series, he said this particular pickup,when wired series, can have to much output and sound farty and broken-up. Any one have any experience with these pickups wired parallel vs. series? The tech also said that the Stingrays of the 70's were wired parellel, and that this would give me a tighter sound and responce, is this true?
    Ill let you all know how it sounds this weekend.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Play a Sterling or Stingray 5 they have a series parallel switch and decide for yourself.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    you could install a mini-toggle, you'd only have to drill one hole in your bass, and you could have both series and parallel at your disposal. get a 3 position switch and you could have single, series, parallel, get 4 positions and you could have single top, single bottom, series and parallel, 5 positions...... actually just get 2. maybe 3.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA

That's what I did. My '92 StingRay was having serious D/G string volume issues because the polepieces didn't line up under the strings. I replaced it with a Bartolini MME (which has bar polepieces) and installed a 3-way switch giving series, parallel, and front coil.

Parallel sounds most like the stock pickup, without much mids and a bright top end. Series is very loud, with a pronounced midrange, ample bass, and very little treble-it's more of a P-Bass sound. It's kind of ugly-sounding on its own but the tone really cuts through. Single coil sounds bright and a little more open than the humbucker modes.

The Bart required some routing in the pickup cavity but the improvement in sound is worth the alteration. I put the switch on the control panel in between the treble and mid knobs and the bass is now MUCH more useful to me than it was before, and IMO sounds better than other Stingray 4s/Sterlings that I've played.