1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing my SUV --- what to buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I need some opinions. My Mercury Mountaineer is really getting up there in miles and I need to replace it but I am truly stuck.

I'll start off by saying that I LOVE my Mountaineer! I have the one with all the leather and goodies and it's a great car to drive -- as SUV's go. The problem with getting another is that gas mileage has become a real concern (as if you didn't know that) and the Merc is only good for 15/19.

The other problems are:

1) I am 6'3" with a 37" inseam and I need LOTS of legroom.
    2) I am a Sales Executive and I end up entertaining clients from time to time -- for better or worse, my car has to "look the part." (That said, I don't want to spend an arm & a leg)
    3) Although I don't NEED an SUV, I do enjoy having the ability to haul bulky stuff and with Minnesota winters, the AWD is extremely useful.

At first blush, the Nissan Murano has possibilities but I haven't done any real research yet.

I'd welcome any input/thoughts/discussion!

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I hear Xterra's are pretty cool. :) If i didn't have my Jeep, I'd probably have an Xterra. But they do like the gas

My bro rented a Murano few times, say's it's amazing and I don't think it was too bad on the gas.

But then again, there is always Jeep. :)

Yeah, I am a Nissan person, weird combo huh? Nissan and Jeep man.

3. Lexus RX400h? Looks great, fantastic image, roomy inside with all the toys, 4WD, and, with the hybrid drivetrain, reasonably economical for an SUV (30mpg-ish). Failing that, the Murano's a good bet.

4. One of my best friends has the RX400h. He also just bought the Hybrid sedan. I've ridden to Atlanta in both of them. If I had the funds, the RX would be my choice. They are both amazing rides. The hybrid sedan FLIES!!! :eek:

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    What's the reason you need to replace it? Too many miles or is it to the point it's nickel and diming you to death to keep it going?

Imo unless it's knocking on death's door I'd keep driving it. Crap gas mileage is cheaper than a new car payment.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Magmum R/T AWD!!!!!

Here's mine!!!! Love it!!! Hemi baby.
    Dodge_Magnum_01.
    Dodge_Magnum_03.

7. Way too many miles AND it's not paid off yet. My extended warranty just expired and pretty soon the maintenance is going to catch up to me.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    +1 big times...

228k miles and still going strong, won't replace anything on it until it goes. Way i see it, if you car breaks down a lot and bill for the repairs exceeds monthly payment for new car, trade it in for a new car, if not, ride it, miles don't mean crap.

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Toyota Highlander Hybrid...

it looks great, it's fun to drive, and it doesn't suck at the gas station.

It also can pack a ton of gear, too..

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Subaru Outback. It may not have enough legroom for you, check that at a dealership.

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    2008 Honda CRV was fairly roomy in the front... Not sure if it would be big enough for you. The EX has lots of bells and whistles at a decent price with great gas economy.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm in sales to but when I'm entertaining customers, it's usually with a flyrod and waders. :D

I've been looking lately, myself although I'm going to keep my Pathfinder for another year unless disaster strikes. Like Kserg, I only have 213K on mine. The new stuff that intrigues me, that fits your description includes the Ford Edge, Mazda CX 9, Toyota highlander (ugly) Lexus RX, Nissan Murano, and the Acura MDX. Just based on performance and reliability I would take the Accura over the Lexus any-day, the Lexus is just a Camry station wagon, the MDX really does handle exceptionally. If your not interested in long term reliability, and your leasing, I'd consider he Ford Edge hard, it's a real roomy efficient package, and the millage isn't bad, Ford claims almost 28 on the highway. I'm probably leaning more toward a CRV, Element or Outback, but if your in dress up take them out to dinner sales, those vehicles don't really fit the image. Another great driving pretty car like SUV is the VW Torrag. It handles and performs great, has a beautiful interior, but due to reliability issues I wouldn't keep one for more then two years.

13. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    почему не рассматривать другое Mountaineer?

R

14. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I had an Edge for two weeks (business trip rental) and all I can say is that it reminded me of driving my Chevy cargo van - it was nothing but blindspots. sure there are windows all around, but they only bring a false sense of visibility. This one gets a definite NO for me

o, and I certainly didn't come close to the 28 highway miles ... more like 22 - the same as my fully loaded V8 powered with towing package '99 Mountaineer gets

all the best,

R

15. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I really, really wanted to like one of these, but at 6'3" I simply could not find myself comfortable with my knees planar to the steering wheel. Another case of "glad I had this as a rental so I didn't have buyer's remose later" type of deals

all the best,

R

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My wife and I rented a Murano when we were in Denver last year. It was fun to drive, but we felt cramped for legroom. I'm 6'5", and my wife is 6'2". No way anyone could sit behind us when we had the seats back to comfortable levels for us.

-Mike

17. What with the US warming to the idea of diesels, any idea if BMW are bringing the X5 with the 3-litre diesel V6 to the US? That would be a pretty safe bet... car-like handling, BMW quality and reliability, lots of toys (with lots more on the options list), around 35mpg, and enough torque to pull a train. Probably kinda pricey though. :D

18. I like the Edge - that, along with the Mustang, should be the only two US Fords that get sold in Europe (instead of none, like now). We'll trade you the Mk2 Focus and the Mondeo. :D

Ford do a really nice crossover-type car over here called the S-Max, it's a shame it's not available in the US, it'd be a hit, I think.

[​IMG]

19. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
  20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Unlike Rodent, I'm also 6'3" and don't really have problems fitting into my Outback. It could have a bit more headroom, but it's not a big problem for legroom for me.

Post-back-surgery though, I wish it had better seats. It's also not the most "wow" vehicle around, but it pretty much owns all others when it comes to 4-wheel drive. Great gas mileage.