1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing My SWR.. Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSteve, May 1, 2006.

1. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Well, after countless years of faithful service, I have decided to replace my SWR SM-400. It just doesn't have the balls... I recently added a second Goliath 4x10 so I could run it in mono at full power and it still ain't cuttin' it. I'm not playing full time anymore, so I don't want to go too crazy, but I'm looking at SVTs. Ashdown, Eden and Aguilar. I would like something with an honest 500 watts, so I will have the headroom and punch that I need. I will probably buy used and would like to keep it under $800. Any suggestions.. personal preferences?? There are so many options these days... it's hard to get out and try them all. Thanks.
    Steve

2. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    I should mention that I like a nice open sound as I play a Status 5 string. If you are familiar with these basses, they have a wide frequency range and I like to take advantage of it.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Why not spring for a brand new Carvin B1500? They have loads of headroom and a straight-forward preamp section. You could certainly do a lot worse.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have an Aguilar AG500 SC. It's 15 lbs, has no fans, and sounds really good both with my Berg NV610 and my Epifani T-112. Plenty of power to spare with both 1/4" and speakon outputs. I got it in trade and meant to try it out and then sell it but ended up liking it so much that I've kept it. I play it with a Lakland Joe Osborn 5 and have no problem with the lower freqs.

And wouldn't you know, there are two in the classifieds right now for $800. :)

5. ++1

Nice wide frequency response and tons of power.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If you want true 500 watts would you not need something rated about 750+ watts. Maybe you would maybe you wouldn't I dunno.

7. The Ashdown ABM500 EVO II has enough balls. I used to own a lot of SWR gear, including the Bass 350 and Bass 750 heads. None of them ever had balls.

OTOH for shear ball force, nothing can beat an old 70's SVT (300 watts). I used to own one and if it weren't for the damned weight, I still would.

8. 500-ish watts?

Mesa M-Pulse 600...

9. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Yeah FF, I had a couple of those back in the day. I also had a road crew to schlep it... I don't need mega balls, just more than the SM400 is giving me. I want to lighten my touch because the action on my Status is lower than I was using on my Lakland, and I find myself slamming cuz the amp ain't punching through...

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The GK 1001RBII will deliver what you need:bassist:

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Not necessarily. Some amp manufacturers don't cut corners and you can actually expect 500 watts no matter what.

12. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    you want to sell it to me?

13. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    rather, give it to me

14. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    No fans of the Eden WT-550 or SVT-3 Pro out there?? Although the SVT-3 is only rated at 450 watts, I have been told it stomps the SWR SM400.

15. BassSteve

BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    Who makes this Thunderfunk I've been reading about... what is it exactly??:confused:

16. SVT3 is pretty underpowered for the rating from my experience. Not really any louder than my 240W GK400RB.

I borrowed one for a while from a buddy of mine when I was thinking about buying one. I got some decent sounds out of it, but I wasn't too impressed with the power. And the thing clips if you look at it the wrong way.

-Nick

17. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Mesa 400+ will make you happy. Or, perhaps, an Eden pre with power amp of your choice.

18. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    A Mesa 400+ made this (ex-SWR user) gas free.

19. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    both great choices... pretty much what I replaced my Sm-400 with, for some similar reasons.

20. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    If you like the sound of the SM400, you can also try to find a second hand SM900 for more power. The Ashdown 500 EVOII is also a great choice. The Ampeg SVT-3 is not loud enough