Replacing Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bill Murray, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Suck it up, take it to a tech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Burn it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Replace it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Curious. I recently picked up a Squier. I love the body, 50s style precision, but the bass seems to fall out of tune consistently and there are a handful of dead spots on the neck.

Now for my question… Is it worth swapping out the neck? (Not financially but tonally and performance wise).

I see a handful of vintage necks floating around, are you just paying for an antique when you can get the same thing brand new for 1/8th the cost or does the extra age actually make an audible difference?

Basically I’m debating Stock Vs MIM Fender Vs Vintage Fender Vs Third Party (not interested in MIA fender, all the MIM necks I’ve played have been on par with the MIA, especially after taking them to a tech).

What would you do? What have you done?

FWIW I’ll never sell this bass, it’s basically for me to tinker with but I’d love to gig and record with it if I can get it up to my standards. The pickup was already swapped out for Seymour Duncan QP and I’m planning on refinishing the bass and while I’m at it I might as well throw on a new bridge and tuners, so naturally I’m thinking about the neck as well.

2. LP Custom

LP Custom

May 30, 2009
    Bridge & tuners first, then re-evaluate. Those necks can be pretty nice…

Lownote38 and Lukasonbass like this.
  3. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    it honestly does feel pretty good, I was pleasantly surprised

LP Custom likes this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Are you sure that your strings are installed correctly? Squiers are decent. I’ve never really had a lot of tuning problems, even with lower-end necks and tuners.

As for your other question, I recently sold off a vintage Fender neck and used the money to buy four different used necks of decent quality.

Lukasonbass likes this.
  5. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    good call! I’ll have to check that out. I thought it was strange as well. I’ve never owned a bass that wouldn’t hold tuning.

6. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Let's just make this simple - there is nothing inherently magical or better about older necks. A neck being old does not, in and of itself, make the neck good, or better. Certainly, there are lots of good necks out there that happen to be old, but there are also plenty of bad old necks, and both good and bad brand new necks. If you're working on a legitimate vintage bass (not the case here, of course) and want it to be "correct," then a legitimate vintage neck makes sense. But the value comes from the cultural/nostalgic aspect of old things being considered desirable, not from any physical quality of the neck.

To put it another way - if your main goal is to get a quality neck at a reasonable price, then paying extra for a neck that happens to be old doesn't really make sense at all.

96tbird and Lukasonbass like this.
  7. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Exactly the answer I needed! thank you!!

dwizum likes this.
  8. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    I'd check if neck is attached to body properly. It is very common in Squiers (and others) to not drill proper holes in the body to pass through the screws. Instead these holes are too-small, so then you tighten screws they do tighten to the body not the neck and it doesn't get enough pressure/force.
    To fix it: unscrew the neck, enlarge holes in the body so the screws go through freely without turning, attach the neck firmly and then tighten the screws in cross-position order. That's the correct way of getting correct neck joint and it might help with stability, sustain and many more.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    96tbird, Geri O and Lukasonbass like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022