Replacing neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 3, 2002.

1. i am contemplating retooling my cort curbow fretless with both new pups and possibly a new neck
    i have used roundwounds like an idiot for too long and cut the heck out of the baby and was thinking about replacing the neck
    is this easy to do?
    i am thinking ebony fretboard btw
  2. Is it just a bolt on neck? If so, then it's easy to replace the neck.

If it's a set neck then your best (and less expensive) way to go is getting the fretboard replaced.

If it is neck through, I think its impossible to chenge the neck without ripping the bass apart completely. In that case, replacing the fretboard is your only option AFAIK.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You can replace the neck, but I suggest you keep it that way. Most of the sound of the Cort Curbow´s resides on the neck, the body adds its part too, but the definition will come from the neck.
    Unless you get a Rockwood neck, but I believe if you are going for that, you better sell the Cort Curbow and get something like Steve Bailey Aria Pro II Fretless.

For Pickups I do agree, a replacement would be good. My suggestion: Bartolini Triple Coil.
    Wired "Series","Upper Coil" ,"Lower Coil"
    For Preamp, Bartolini 3 Band 9 Volt NTMB
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You might want to consider having the fingerboard dressed rather than replacing it. It usually doesn't require as much material removal as you might think. It's pretty easy to shim the neck pocket to compensate for the loss of material.

Another thing that may or may not be a problem is balance, or neck dive. Ebony is considerably heavier than rosewood or maple. Ebony will stand up to roundwounds better than rosewood but may brighten the tone up to some extent.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbows dont have Rosewood Fretboards..
    They have Synthetic Ebonol Fingerboards.
    I dont think they can be leveled easily without leaving a lot of marks. (Polishing could help.)
    Its like working on a Bowling Ball