Replacing Neutrik Jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I have a Neutrik jack on my BTB 406

Its a good idea fundamentally, but, well, its crap, the signal cuts out alot unless your standing still basically, ive read this is quite a common problem, as ive never used my BTB much other than home use i wasnt that bothered, but now ive been using it at band practice, it just gets bloody annoying :scowl:

Would there be any harm in replacing it with a normal output jack which could hoefully use the same holes (dont want to drill about the body really)
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    there shouldn't be a problem replacing it with a Switchcraft jack...but you may have to fashion a mounting plate for it. You can use the same holes for the new mounting plate since you will be drilling the plate for proper placement anyway.

good luck!
  3. Before you start replacing things, take a magnifying glass and a small torch and see if you can see what the problem is.
    If it is it dirty contacts, you can clean them. If it is bent contacts, you have to ask how they got bent.

Neutric has a rep for good solid gear, so I would not discard them without investigating first.
  4. I had a problem with one particular guitar cable where the plug was slightly smaller in diameter than my other cables. The cable would work fine is some basses and in other basses would result in the same type of problem you're experiencing.
  5. DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    I had a Ibanez btb405 for a while and the Neutrik locking jack caused crackling and popping sounds whenever the cable moved even the slightest bit, not to mension with very little force you could still pull the cable out,.... a local authorized Ibanez dealer got me a new one and it did the same thing. I ended up having to machine a wooden plug on a wood lathe to fit in the large hole that the Neutrik jack fits into. While still in the lathe I used a centered drill bit to drill out a hole through the plug so that I could mount a switchcraft "barrel" style jack in. The plug by the way can be secured in the hole of the bass with some good wood glue. It worked perfect and you can still use the Neutrik "cover plate" to dress up the wooden plug,....I sorta forget what I did to be able to use the outside of the Neutrik cover, either was a separate cover plate or else I cut and ground off the jack part leaving the polished pretty part that you secure on to the bass with the little wood screws. it looked very nice and worked perfect from then on......
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have had no problems with mine over many years of much hard usage, although it does look a bit different. It is all black, no metal plate.