1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Noisless Pickups with MIA pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have a Fender Deluxe active Jazz Bass with Fender noisless pickups and the output is so low I have to run it through the passive input or run the amp gain and master vol way up. Just wondering if changing to MIA jazz Pickups will Have a hotter signal to the pre amp and if I will run into amy major problems doing this. Any info would be appreciated.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

something sounds amiss to me. I've had 3 sets of noiseless and about a dozen MIA's and none have had volume issues. There's not that much difference between most of them and the Noiseless will vary as much between each other as from the MIA's.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The level out of the pre amp is low and with an active pre I believe it should be louder but reading reviews of this bass with the single pole noisless pickups they are low output . What I need to know is will installing the MIA Jazz Pickups cause any noise problems Like pre amps and single coils can have?

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    my son has a mim jazz bass and we replaced the stock pups with a noiseless set. no problems with the output level. maybe yours isn't wired right or there's a problem with the pre.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Oh yeh forgot about the singles pole jobs. Only pair of those I had were Shurs - John Shur of Pensa Shur who to my knowledge is also the one that designed the Fender Bi-pole noiseless and deluxe pre. So he probably did those Fenders as well and they are probably basically the same as the Shurs I had.

Don't remember the output on those.

True singles will probably hum. Get bi-pole noiseless if that's an issue. Also check height to make sure they're aren't to far from the strings. The Shur's don't stand out in memory as being low output. The review's in Dimento's J experiment and would say.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Answer to my own Question Installed A set of MIA Jazz Bickups I just got and the output is now where it should be with a pre amp. Must have been the Single pole noisless pickups. And no noise issues so far. Thanks for the replies.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

check their DCR while they're out.

8. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    DCR Neck pickup 7.44k Bridge pickup 7.64k.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Low side of normal. Although there's a high postive correlation between DCR and output, it's just a piece of the puzzle. There's not really an inherent connection between the two - there are exceptions. I had a pair of Fender Noiseless once with exactly the same DCR and one pair had at least 1/3 more output than the other.

What actually was a better indicator for those pups was the power of the magnets. You couldn't tell from a meter reading but you could from sticking a metal ruler to them.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 98 MIA Jazz Deluxe, and was also not satisfied with the stock pickups. I ended up using DiMarzio Model J's, and they rock.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I am probably going to do the DiMarzio Ultra J swap some time but I put in the MIA jazz because I had them not because they are superior pickups although they are superior to the Singlepole noisless Jazz Pickups.