Replacing old Cerwins with 3015's: what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Destructobot, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    I finally bit the bullet and ordered some 3015's to replace the Cerwins in my Traynor YCV-215 cab. The Cerwins sound great and are in good shape, but I want to be able to pound the crap out of the cab with fuzz pedals and ham fisted playing and not worry about blowing them up. They'll be put safely under the bed to rest for a while.

What kind of difference can I expect in the sound? Any boost in volume?

The cab is two separate compartments, each 3.1 cu. ft. They're ported with a gap between the baffle and the end of the cab. Really simple port, about 17" wide and 1.5" high.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    It's impossible to say without specs, but it should, be a bit louder per watt (more sensitive), particularly under 100hz and probably a lot above it as well (I'd ballpark an average of 3db louder with the ability to handle twice as much power, so peak, 6db louder at least).

The biggest thing you will want to watch out for is that the 3015 itself is very flat down low with a smooth low end rolloff...almost no upper bass bump in a 3.1cf box in any normal alignment.

This makes it sound thin to people who don't know how to work eq and whine about how a cabinet sounds with their amp "flat" and other such bullcrap.

3. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm not picky about eq, I use it like it's an effect. If I get any dB boost, I'll be a happy camper. The cab already sounds pretty darn good.

4. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I think that is perhaps the greatest thing I have read in a while on TB :D

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021