replacing one pickup!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j b scott, Feb 19, 2003.

1. hey all TBers,

i dont know if the answer to this question is obvious or not..., but can you replace one pickup on a two pickup bass?
    (or more specifically get a music shop to do it)

details...: i have an ESP ltd b-205 (5 string) with two passive EMG 40 HZ (apparantly they are not the real deal..)
    and am wondering if only the pickup closer to the neck/frets could be exchanged for a warmer, thicker sounding pickup.

i have read some advice here and it seem bartolinis make a humbucker that has a warmer, punchier tone.

i am HOPING that this will achieve the ability, by use of the blend knob, to switch between the harsh, tinny, lacking in charachter EMG bridge pickup, and the warm, phat, lushious bart pickup at the neck!

(more info if you'd like to know):
    the bass has 5 knobs (pots?) vol, blend, bass, mid, treble. And the electronics are active.

i have nickel coated rounds on atm, and have tried some other strings, but to no avail.

i am happy to change the electronics if that is the only way to do it or if you guys think that this is where the problem lies.

the harsh, thin, unnattractive, twangy, boring tone i currently have is not due to playing with a pick either because i dont play with one.

and its not the amp either! i've played it though several decent amps

sorry for all that!!

:) :bassist:
  2. It should work, it's just that it would probably look wierd cause. the pickups are different size.

Just don't take my word for it.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    any guitar repair guy worth his salt should be able to do this. On their site, Bartolini gives you dimensions for their pickups. I'm sure you can find something that will work. If you have trouble, and you can't find anyone in the area, I can do the work for you. Get measurements for the width and length of your pickups, and I will find the right one for you if you like. Here's the pickup dimensions list from their website. Pickup Dimensions You'll need acrobat reader for that. BTW, there should not be any problem with hooking up a bartolini to your existing electronics. Good Luck. Any questions, PM me!

4. dont get too drastic though about changing everything.
    start with the pickups which tmo33 says should be a doddle and if your emg's are 'stock' regarding the casing size then a straight swap should be ok.
    stick to passive pickups since your bass already has the active part installed.
    i also like to get the warm sound you are after and now use nickel only strings and have flats which are smoother imho
  5. lol, pickup size... A while back someone on HC sent me a free set of American Fender Jazz pickups. I was curious to see if it would improve my tone, so I put them in. with the pickup covers, they BARELY FIT! I had to file down parts of my pickguard just to get the neck pu on in, and file down the side of a pickup cover for the bridge p/u because it was too long. It worked, and it fit in, and thank the lord that they fit in the screw holes and were free. Yeah, they made a minor improvement in my tone. Very minor, but hey, i could brag that I've got a couple mods in my jazz now like that and the Bad Ass II. It's not a bad bass, I like it;)
  6. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    if the pickup didnt fit would it work to change the pickup covers on the new ones to the covers that fit? or would that be a stupid idea for whatever reason?
  7. you talking to me?:oops: ;)

lol, I tried swapping p/u covers from the old p/us, but it didn't work.