Replacing original Fender humbucking pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PJS782, Jun 23, 2016.

1. PJS782

PJS782

Sep 7, 2015
    I am a novice w/ a small budget. I have a 1970 tele bass with a humbucking pickup. I recently bought a cheap fretless and the guy threw in a new Bartolini CF4CBC-B four string, dual coil soapbar pu. It's wider and thinner than the humbucker but sounds so much better. I'm thinking of putting it in my tele bass. Any thoughts? I would have to, at least, replace the pickguard.

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Modding the pickguard is relatively easy considering you might have to modify the pickup rout to accept the Bartolini. Can you post a pic?

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You'd also have to rout the bass to take the pickup. Another vintage instrument ruined. I would not replace the pickup, it's kind of integral to that bass and you'd destroy any value it has. Plus those pickups are RARE.

If the Tele bass sounds like elephant farts through a PA, that's what it's supposed to sound like. If you want another tone I'd suggest unloading the Tele bass - unmodified and therefore worth a decent amount of money - and simply buying something else.

4. PJS782

PJS782

Sep 7, 2015
    Thank you for your frank responses. I have decided to keep the Tele just the way it is and save for a newer bass. The amp that was bought around the same time as the bass- '70-'72 is a Fender Bassman Ten combo. All original, silverface. I hear tell they're selling for a decent price. Anyone know of bassists curently using them?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021