Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing p-bass pickup..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 16, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think i wanna try a slightly hotter pickup with a little more growl to it. i really dont want to go active, but i will if its nesc.

also. i would most likely need to get all new pots and or wiring harness because i have the s1 switch on it.

im thinking maybe even stock fender pickups not wired lwith the s1. i heard from someone that you lose some good sounds with those pickups wired that way. maybe just a stock fender replacement?

also. what pickups would you suggest.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never tried a fender with s-1 switch, but with a P bass in general I've never found series/parallel switching too useful. Stock wiring for a P sounds best IMO.

'growl' is a really nebulous term, it means different things to everyone. I'll say this, the Nordstrand P replacement pickup is the best P I've ever heard. It had beef but also full range clarity. The Dimarzio P is a reasonably priced, agressive sounding P pickup also.

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    seymour duncan quarter pounders.
    yep.
    get those.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    are those active or passive?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    DiMarzio Will Power Middle...Passive, loud, in your face, yet pleasing to the ear.... I love mine!!!!

You could probably use the same controls...

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use the Quarter Pounders on my P bass. They're very nice pickups with a lot more life than the stock fenders. They are passive pickups and should work well in your bass.

I didn't care much for the sound of the S1 switch when used in parallel
    position. When in series, it's like a regular P bass. The switch doesn't affect the stock P sound in this position, only when in parallel.

I haven't tried the Nordstrands. I'm quite satisfied with the Seymour Duncans and doubt changing them for anything else will improve my sound. The Duncans were a noticeable improvement over the stock fenders. I imagine the Nordstrands would be also.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Go for a Nordstrand NP4! As for the S-1 option, Carey made one for Arthur Poon that could take advantage of that.

IMHO the NP4 sounds way better than the stock Fender pickup. You won't be disappointed :hyper:

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I love my NP-4; Beefbass turned me onto it when I was looking to get a more vintage sound out of my MIA Standard P-Bass (thanks again, Beefbass! :cool: ).

Beefbass also recommended Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass, who is a Nordstrand dealer. Jay did the footwork with Carey and even though it was a custom order, I don't think it took Carey very long to put it together.

I could rave on and on about the sound of the NP-4; it really is a great vintage-sounding pickup. My stock pickup was *o.k.*, but it was a bit muddy in the low registers for my taste. I wanted to keep my bass passive and I wanted to get that old-school P-Bass sound out of it. The NP-4 does this very, very well IMO.

I don't really use the S-1 option much, but I guess it's nice to have, just in case I may get decent at my slapping technique :p .

Oh yeah, to echo davidmwilson's post, if you want a more aggressive sounding passive P-style pickup with more output, the DiMarzio Model-P is one of my favorites.

- Art

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

You're very welcome :hyper:

I would also agree about the DiMarzio. I had those pickups in a '75 Precision I had a long time ago. Very aggressive sounding.

I would say though that the NP4 has a great deal of output too, except it doesn't get muddy like the stock Fender pickup.

I'll also second everything about Jay lewis at Blueberry Hill bass. Great guy to deal with :bassist:

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    np4, 1/4lbers and the dimarzio.

i heard some good stuff about the 1/4lbers this weekend so i think i'm going to check those out first, since i do want high outputs without going active

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I actually have a set of Quarter-Pounders that I could put in my MIA Precision that currently has the stock pickups and Fender Flatwounds.

For yooz guys who already made the change, can you describe the actual differences that you discerned between the stock P pickups and the Quarter Pounders?

Output? Bottom End? Top End? Midrange?

Thanks,

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i was on vacation and met up with a friend who had one in his. he said it made it very loud and aggresive. he said it was vhot and easily distorted.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    As I said earlier, the 1/4 pounders added a lot more life to the sound compared to the stock pickups. More "balls" so to speak. Bigger bottom, nice bite in the top end and more complex mids. I disagree that they easily distort. When I first put mine in I got an increase in volume but no problem with distortion. About 5 years ago I added a Raven Labs PB preamp to the bass and still no distortion although I was warned by others that it would overdrive the preamp.I don't play with a very light touch and I play mainly with fingers. I suppose if you really pounded away aggresively with your right hand fingers you could overdrive your preamp and get distortion, but then you could get distortion out of almost any pickup playing this way.

Anyhow, don't go by anyone's opinions regarding sound. It's all very subjective. Try a set yourself. If you don't like them you'll have no trouble selling them.

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i hay be able to get a set of 1/4lbs's used, and i'm also going to look into the np4.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I had a Duncan 1/4 pounder in a P-Bass back in the 80's. It had boatloads of output compared to my original pickup. I liked it's sound, but it didn't seem to capture as much of the P-Bass tone as I like, YMMV.

16. I have the qtr pounders in A J/P Bass they are definately hotter than the stock Pickups. Depending on what you are looking for I would say If you are looking for that old school Phat sound then Fender 62' Pickups, Seymour Duncan AntiquityII or the NP4 Would be what you want . If you want the new Brighter More even bottom to top then Qtr pounders Or Barts will do that . I have never heard the Dimarzio's so I can not comment on them.