Replacing PC with loop pedal, RC-30 or other?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JACink, Aug 21, 2017.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    For looping I currently use Ableton Live, controlled by a footswitch (when playing bass) or a small controller.

I would like to find an alternative that I can use without taking my laptop along and having to run everything through the laptop. I currently use the B3 for simple practice, but it is a little "sparse".

I have been looking around, and while the RC-300 look great, it is more than I am willing to spend on this, and it is also huge (as in, it is bigger than my current pedal + laptop!).

I am thinking that the best option is going to be the Boss RC-30 or the Jamman Stereo. Based on reviews I have watched/read, I am thinking that the Boss is the better option since they fixed the lag issue.

However, as always, I would like some input from those of you that use pedal loopers (I know there are a few of you ;) ) as to what you would reccommend.

My needs are:

- Less than $300
    - Microphone input
    - Minimum 2 channels
    - Possibility to import/export loops
    - Loop start/record sync (not sure what the proper name for this would be, but that is starts on the correct beat even if you press the button 1/2 second early).
    - Midi sync would be a plus but not necessary.
    - Simple functionality would be a plus!

Opinions?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I thought I would page @Chicory Blue who always has good input in the loopy world :D

3. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

Honored you thought of me. c:

Sounds like you've described the RC-30 pretty much spot on, minus the midi sync.

I will mention, though, that its operation can be a little bit... specific. Operating its track/phrase select cleanly without hands will require an external dual-footswitch (a single footswitch will allow you to switch tracks but you'll only be able to move up to the next phrase hands-free, not previous). It also doesn't let you clear a single track during playback, but you can undo an overdub (kind if a silly system). You can work around this by recording some dead air on your second track before playing something, or by prepping your second track beforehand with something you know you want, like a cool drum track or something, and then playing over that. That way, when you booch an overdub, you can just undo it rather than having to stop playback to clear the whole thing.

That is to say, it'll do just about everything you want, but you might have to learn to play by its rules to make it so.

I use mine with a single footswitch and "simplified operation" mode, which greatly improves its track switching/stopping ability.

--^@

JACink likes this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the input @Chicory Blue :thumbsup:

I think I am spoiled as I have been using Ableton for many years (not just for looping bass etc.) and it is probably the most advanced "simple operation" looper ever, if that makes any sense.

Do the Boss loopers have any way to sync between various pedals (like the Jamman)? A RC-3 + an RC-30 would probably be perfect.

5. Chicory Blue

Alas, if only. The 300s can sync with one another (and are amazing in every way, but for the size and price), but the others can't.

My impression of the 30 is colored by my experience with the 300, though for what it's worth, I find that working under stricter limitations can have the same positive effect on creativity that loosening limitations can- for economics sake, I've been using my B1on for nearly all of my outdoor jamming (30 second max, no undo button) and it's made me think well outside my usual wheelhouse.

I know the JamMans can sync up, but I think they're single-track affairs, individually, even the stereo. Could be wrong about that, though.

--^@

JACink likes this.
  6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have another question (or two ;) ) for you if you don't mind @Chicory Blue regarding the RC-30 (which seems to be the direction I am heading).

I have been reading the manual, and it says that when stereo inputs are connected, using the L and the R jacks, these are both output in mono via the L output.

If you use both these inputs for different instruments, could you use the RC-30 as a blend?

Let's say I split my bass signal into two different chains with a simple A/B switch, then ran chain A into L and chain B into R, would this work? Maybe a bass into L and a guitar into R?

Also, does the RC-30 record the input from the AUX in or is it just pass through? In other words, could I plug my laptop/tablet into the AUX in and launch more smaples/loops from there without them being recorded into the loops on the Boss?

Thanks!

7. Chicory Blue

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the blend, as I've never attempted such a thing. As for the AUX in, it does record the input, and I'm not aware of an option to make it do otherwise. I can see where this would be a hassle for what you're trying to accomplish but personally I much prefer it as it allows me to capture samples from my gameboy/pocket synths/etc, and thus keep things in sync without need of external tools.

--^@

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021