1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing pickup in Warwick Fortress Masterman

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cryptic Anthony, May 9, 2006.

1. I have a Warwick Fortress Masterman that has a "dual J" pickup in the bridge position. The pickup is a MEC and I dont like it.

Are there any custom pickup makers who could make me either a dual J or a single humbucker that would fit my bass' rout? I want a crisp, clear and powerful sound. Kind of like an EMG sound, but not as homogenizing as EMGs tend to be.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
  3. Thanks! It seems these are more 'vintage' sounding pickups maybe, from the descriptions I read? Is that true? Does anyone have experience with these pickups? I need a hi-fi, clear and deep tone. I am playing with an Ashdown ABM EVO II 500 RC and a 2x10/1x15 setup.

4. up

5. I've tried to get information about the same pickup shape, double-J I can't find much at all. However I do know that some Kramer basses use a quad coil double J and that the powerbucker is a very 'modern' sounding pickup, big lows and crisp highs. If you do replace teh MEC would you be willing to sell it cheap to a poor student who needs to upgrade a no-brand stingray copy :D

6. thanks!

i emailed Rio Grande. No one knows of any active pickup that would fit this rout? Are there any pickup makers that would take a custom order from me?

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    What is wrong with the stock pickup? Perhaps a preamp upgrade with the stock pickup will give you what you are looking for.

8. i feel that the pickup is more important than the preamp and I don't like MEC pickups. they are weak-sounding to me.

9. i customarily use the onboard preamp only for light tweaking and most of my sound comes from my amp anyway.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    My choice would be the Rio Grande. You can also check out Aero and Nordstrand, they make wonderful pickups. This might end up being a custom pickup and that could cost alot. Worth it if you otherwise love the bass.

11. I also have a Kramer Duke bass with the Schaller Double J. I've been looking without any luck for Kramer wiring info relating to this pickup. It is actually four coils with eight wires. When I bought the bass, the electronics were just ripped out except for the pickup. I cannot seem to find a good way to wire it. If I can't find an original wiring schematic, I may just rewind the coils on two J bobbins... if they will fit in the stock Schaller cover.

Any help in locating a wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated as I would like to keep the bass stock. It's kinda vintage to some people...I collect unique headless basses.

Thanks, Stan

12. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I've found that Kent Armstrong is willing to take on just about anything. If he can't, he'll most likely refer you to his son Aaron who makes some killer stuff in England.