replacing pickups from a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 20, 2006.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I currently own a stupid "Mark Hoppus" Jazz Bass. Probably the stupidest purchase i ever made. But I want to upgrade the pick-ups in itand would like recommendations and what are certain requirements that the pick ups will have to meet in order to fit/work properly with this bass. Even some sites on pickups, anything! But i wanna your guys's opinion on which you like the best.

I'll also be painting the stupid aqua green a diifferent color! argh!

2. If you do a search around this forum you will find that the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder for P bass gets a lot of hype... Start there maybe.
  3. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i guess a better question is.. is it worth it to change the ones that are in there?

It already has a single Seymour Duncan® Basslines Quarter Pound Precision Bass pickup. is that the same?
  4. Honestly, I have never owned a P Bass... but I have done extensive research on SD pups, and I think the consesus is (mostly) that these are the best value replacement for a P bass. That being said, if you have one in the bass and don't like it... well, hopefully a Pbasser will get in on this.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Your Mark Hoppus bass is a "P" bass (Precision), not a Jazz bass.

And yes, the pickups that were recommended here earlier are the same as it already has.

My advice:
    Sell it, buy something else that you like. You will ruin the resale value by changing the pickups and painting it.

6. I'd route it for a single jazz bass neck pickup and get a traditional pickguard and control plate. Get a double coil if the hum is just too much trouble. And a nice thin rosewood Jazz neck just to make it feel good.

Joe Osborne only needed one pickup...
  7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

8. mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 as well...actually, I kinda like the way that looks, color and all...if I was in the market for another P... :smug:
  9. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    alright, what about pickguards. someone listed on earlier but it didnt show pictures
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pickguard isnt gonna make it sound any better :p
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I think that bass is extremely cool myself. I love the color and the pickup is not my cup of tea, but it's a great one.
  12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I kind of like the Hoppus myself. In fact, I was relatively GAS free until I played one and decided I wanted a bass with a Duncan Quarter Pounder for P-bass pickup. I think it's an excellent modern, full-range version of split-coil P tone. (But, GAS being such a fickle mistress, I now want a G&L L-1500. And a few other things. :cool: )

If you tell us what you don't like about the tone, then maybe some of us will have recommendations. The QP is very high output, so you have to watch for clipping your amp's input stage. Maybe that's happening, and causing tone problems.

By the way, I think Fender calls it a Jazz bass because of the Jazz body. With a split-coil P pickup and P-bass neck, I can't call it a Jazz. In my book it's a P-bass with the wrong body. ;)