Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing pickups - MIM Fender Jazz V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Mule, Jan 2, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in my passive Mexican Fender Jazz V, and my first choice would be Bartolini, the 59CBJS (single coils) or 59CBJD (dual in-line hum cancelling coils). I've measured the original pickups and the Bartolinis seem to have the exact same size, so I expect no problems there. I was wondering if anyone around here has already replaced the pickups of his/her MIM Jazz V, has some good advise or anything else they might want to share?

I'm also considering a not-too-fancy preamp to be inserted in the future, maybe an Aguilar OBP-1. Any recommendations on this subject are very welcome also!

Thanks! :)

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Can't comment on the 5 string but I have replaced stock pups on 3 MIM 4 string jazz basses (both fretted and fretless).
    I used the Bartolini 9j1s hum cancelling variety.
    In any case, I believe changing the pups is the single biggest improvement you can make in your MIA fender.
    I believe that after the change, the bass will sound better than an MIA Fender.
    If you are considering adding a pre-amp, I would choose hum canceling over single coil

3. Good one, hadn't thought of that yet! I like the sound of sissling sausages, but not of sissling basses...

4. Nobody else? :crying: No suggestions whatsoever for replacement pickups on a Fender Jazz V?

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  6. Ivar, many thanks! I have used the search function, but those threads didn't come up. I'm sure I'll go for the Barts now, but will keep it passive (my Alembics rule the active side of the story). Thanks again!

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Actually I believe only the Bart 57J's will fit unless MIM J5's utilize an entirely different pup set than Am. Std.'s do. I had 57J's in my old J5 and they were nice, lots of low end. Personally I got rid of it because I no longer cared for the slap sound. To tell the honest truth I NEVEr cared for that bass at all after about a month. A foolish impulse buy....

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have the 59CBJD hum canceling coils in my MIA Jazz V and I like them very much,I 've toyed with the idea of installing a preamp, but the bass sounds so good in it's passive configuration that I've been become somewhat apprehensive in doing so.however If I do I may go with the Aguilar obp-1 myself or J-Retro.

9. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Have you tried the series/parallel mod yet? A lot of times you'll unlock a really cool sound from it.

10. I've decided to keep it passive and replaced the stock pickups with Rio Grande Vintage Jazz pickups today. Higher output, vintage tone with a raw 'bite' and cool looking without covers.

Me happy! :hyper:

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    DiMarzio UJs would be another choice. As far as the preamp, the J-retro is tres cool. I dropped one into my SX 5, man, it just came ALIVE!