Replacing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lionelj3a, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Lionelj3a

Lionelj3a

Jul 18, 2017
    I have a Schecter Diamond Studio which is the most comfortable playing guitar I have ever had. Unfortunately I do not like the EMG HZ pickups which came with it. I know that each individual pick up must be directly beneath the string. My problem is that I can find no replacement pickup which specifies that it is a compatible replacement for my HZ pickups. Do you know if Seymour Duncan NYC are an option for me. Thanks for your time.

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
  3. Lionelj3a

Lionelj3a

Jul 18, 2017
    Thanks. Later this afternoon I will take those specs measure my strings and be on the job. Thanks for the info.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Those are standard EMG soap bar sized, so loads of options for replacement. If yours is a four-string (you didn’t specify) then they’ll be 3.5” long by 1.5” wide, which is called the “EMG 35” size. The HZ is a passive pickup (even if your bass has an active preamp), so any other EMG 35 sized passive pickup will drop right in. You can also install “real” EMG 35 active pickups, such as the DC, the CS, etc., with a little more rewiring.

Start here: Soapbars - Best Bass Gear - 4-String, String Configuration 4-String and look for the ones in the EMG 35 size. Many manufacturers make the same pickup in several of the similarly-sized shapes, such as Delano and Nordstrand.

I use and like the Lace Alumitone, Delano SBC, Seymour Duncan SSB, and Aguilar DCB.

Lionelj3a likes this.
  5. Lionelj3a

Lionelj3a

Jul 18, 2017

6. Lionelj3a

Lionelj3a

Jul 18, 2017
    Hi and Thanks. Seems I may have over thought the solution. I'm a retired Engineering Technician and I'm that way.
    Anyway, I just had surgery and have a couple of months free to do the mods. In 3 months I will be recording with family in a multi million dollar studio at Berkley in Boston. My nephew is graduating towards the top of his class and has arranged 9 hours for my brother and I to jam and work on a couple of songs we wrote through the years I have mostly played piano and Hammond, but in certain groups I play bass.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. Ausbass1970

Ausbass1970

Jul 25, 2018
    Hi I'm a bit late in the thread but I replaced my EMGs for Seymour Duncan SSB4s. Used both the original preamp and eventually took that out as well for a fully passive bass.
    I'm still yet to get anything usable out of this bass except for self defence and the occasional game of cricket.

ctmullins likes this.