Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dondabass, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Dondabass

Dondabass

Feb 25, 2005
    Massachusetts
    :help: I am upgraging my SX P Bass and would like to drop in a Seymour Duncan SPB-3. I need some advice. Since I don't necessarily need to replace the pots, can I just heat shrink/soldier the new pickup leads to the existing wiring?
    Thanks

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, you can do that. Not necessarily the "cleanest" way, but it's certainly easier than de-soldering the old pup's leads from the pots. And it'll work fine.

Just make sure to cut the wires in a good spot (fairly close, but not *too* close, to the pots), so the old pups can be re-used one day, and do a good job soldering and heat-shrinking....

3. Dondabass

Dondabass

Feb 25, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the advice. I got cold feet about the project and I am letting my friendle neighborhood luthier do it. This way, I'll get the pots done too.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Excellent, I was going to tell you that the pots are cheap and should be replaced, also. The cheaper pots in these less expensive instruments tend to fail rather quickly. It would also be wise to have the output jack replaced. The good ones are not expensive, but will last much longer than the cheap ones.