Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Pots in a Casady!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by justBrian, Mar 19, 2006.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi,
    I need to replace the pots in my Casady and was wondering if any of you repair gurus had any suggestions. There is no access plate on the back-- all work will need to be done either by removing the harness, or through the pickup rout. The only thing I'm really concerned with is the ground wire.
    So, suggestions please.

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    you will need to pull the whole harness out.
    As you pull it out pull draw wires through to make it easy to put back.
    plastic tubing that fits tightly on the pot shafts is great to draw the pots back into place.
    Jeff

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I can do that-- but what about the ground wire to the bridge? :confused:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The ground wire is probably long enough to pull out through either the lower F hole or through a pickup hole. Remember, they had to build the bass somehow...

With semi-hollow instruments, it helps to tie a string around any shaft that you're pulling out, that way you can move the string to the new controls and pull them back in. Kite string (or similar) works just fine!

If you don't have one, buy a telescoping inspection mirror at a hardware or tool store, that way you can look around inside the body. If it's dark you can shine a flashlight into the mirror and reflect it to the area you want to look at and then see the illuminated area in the mirror. That will also help you visualize how the ground wire is routed.

I don't know about the Casady, but often times semi-hollow instruments have some metal clips inside to hang the wires on...take a look around before you start pulling anything out and see if you need to unfold the clips to release the wiring.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Great info Billy. Thanks! I've been hesitant to try anything yet. But, I did take it to a local repair shop for an estimate-- he said close to $100. That inspired me to do it myself. I know my way around a soldering iron, but I have these big bass player hands and fingers, you know. ;)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You're welcome! I hear you about big hands, etc....

With regard to the estimate...my wife has learned that the quickest way to get me to do something around the house is to get an estimate from a professional...