1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing pots on OLP bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkman1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi,

I just received my new OLP bass mm2......pretty dang nice for $200....anyway, the pots seem pretty junky....the volume seems like an on & off switch......can anyone recommend good replacement pots for this bass....I will be using these pots with a Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup...

Thanks,
    MIke

2. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Honestly? If you think replacing the pots will make that big of a diff, just buy some CTS 500k pots. Nobody (including yourself) will be able to hear the difference.

On the other hand, you should be able to hear a bit of an improvement with the nordie pickup. I dropped an MM4.4 into my old OLP MM2 and loved it for the sound it gave.

3. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi,

I know it won't make a big difference in the sound, but the volume know is like an on & off switch......the volume is pretty much all or none...was yours like this too??

4. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Mine's like that unless the tone knob is on... I don't really mind though.

5. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    Where is a good place to get those cts pots

6. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    When ordering pots, are there different ones for tone and volume, or should I get 3 500k pots???

7. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    Hi guys, old topic I know :cool: Anyway; I got myself a OLP MM2 and want to replace the pup with a Nordstrand MM 4.2 or 4.4. Can you tell med the difference and which one suits best for the OLP?

Tom

8. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    Bump on these questions. I would like to know that to. :hyper:

9. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    I contacted Nordstrand, very nice and helpfull folks btw, and heres reply from Stew:

Actually, you can use the 2 volumes on the MM4.2 but there is a better chance of you getting noise issues in this case if you want to single out one coil or the other. It’s the same thing as having a set of single coil J-pickups in your bass: If you solo one pickup, there may be noise problems.

The sound of the MM4.4 is very close to the MM4.2, but they are not identical. The MM4.4 is a little darker sounding. This is a very subtle thing and you will probably not notice it unless you are playing completely solo and you can compare the two pickups. In a band situation, they would sound almost exactly the same.

This is what a pickup manufacturer has to think about. The best tone will come from a single coil pickup. It is the most open sounding, the most balance and the most detailed. But a single coil, as I’ve stated, may give you noise problems. There have been numerous approaches to eliminating hum. The most common way to do this is to split the coil. Splitting a coil produces 2 primary effects: It loses some of the midrange complexity and it loses that openness, resulting in a subtly darker sounding pickup.

So when you’re looking at these 2 pickups, you need to consider how you’re going to use them. If you will probably have both coils on most of the time, the MM4.2 is the best way to go. If you want to solo one coil or the other regularly, or even if you want to bias toward one coil or the other, I suggest the MM4.4 as a better choice. The difference in price between the 2 models is about $30, I believe.

Well, that does it for me; I will go for the 4.2 as I won't single out the coils.

10. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    This is an update and a little review: Got my Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup and replaced it with the massive OLP stock - and man, does it sound good! Surprisingly good actually, as I was a bit skeptical to if the response of the basswood body on the OLP was any good. My plan was to get a cheap peace of the same wood that they use in Bongo's, though I am not sure if it's the same type of basswood. I have to mention that I haven't tried a Bongo yet so I cannot compare to it. But the sound is quite defined, round and nice and you also get that gritty snappy Stingray tone! Well almost.. Basswood is a soft wood and you will get a warmer sound and softer response than the original Stingray, but I dig it and can absolutely recommend this replacement on the OLP. And it gets seriously nice with the Analogman Juicer.. Nordstrand rules! :D
    The OLP next to my Stingray w/Status neck.

Attached Files: