Replacing PUPs on Warwick Fortress Masterman.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 20, 2004.

1. There is a possibility of buying a Fortress MM.

Should I do so I would want to replace the PUPs with Barts, etc.

Wondered whether anyone has attempted this, and exactly which model of pickup fits the slot.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If you don't like the Dual J MEC Masterman circuit,
    don't buy the Bass. :rolleyes:
  3. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I would agree with finger blister. This bass is so unique in terms of sound. If you are looking for a specific sound a different Warwick may suit you better.
  4. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT
    I replaced my '93 Warwick's PU's with Bartolini's and Gutted the preamp to then replace it with a John East Pre-Amp that I took out of a Benavente. I couldn't be happier with the tone.
    I have a P/J configuration and chose a J-Bass pick up with treble enhancement and a P-Bass pick up with Bass enhancement.
    The East pre-amp is awesome with the Bart's. It is a stacked three knob configuration with an active/passive switch and a single coil/double coil switch. I had to drill holes for these two switches and then chose to mount the input jack on the remaining fourth hole where old pick up blend knob was. I find myself swithing from active to passive on a many occasions and getting great, distinct tones in both settings.

To sum it up, I would highly recommend adding Bartolini's to a Fortress Masterman. I could not be happier with my modifications to my Fortress One. If anyone tells you differently then they do not like to think outside the box. I did and it paid off.

let me know if you want any picks.
  5. Thanks folks.

I don't actually own the Masterman. The enquiry was made in case I bought it.

It's certainly true that the MM has a unique sound. My aim would have been to tone it down somewhat.

With two PUPs in that postioin it was always going to be V difficult whereas the Fortress 1 has a fingerboard PUP. That model certainly would be great with Barts. But I'm not convinced the Masterman would give me the sound I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.