Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing PUs in this '95 Hamer 2TEK Cruisebass 5...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frenchy yo!, Oct 5, 2005.

1. frenchy yo!

frenchy yo!

Oct 5, 2005
    Howdy,
    Its been several years since I have replaced the PUs in a bass. I wouldnt even begin to know what types of pick ups will even fit or be appropriate. Budget is no issue. Tone is the issue. I do lots of hip-hop lately...but funk as well. So something that covers the tonal gammut from clear cutting highs to low whole notes so powerful that orgasms are common in the 1st several rows. I will gladly research and pick once I am able to find a list of viable options to choose from.

-I'm fine with active or passive.
    -I could even be talked into adding an onboard pre ala Aguilar OBP-3 or Bartolini NTMB.

Can someone recommend how I can start with a list of viable choices that will physically fit in my bass?...then I will start comparing tone.

Here it is...
    Frenchy's Hamer
    thx,
    frenchy
    Steve French
    www.houseofharmonystudios.com/
    www.hollowaygroup.org/
    814.584.1220.office/studio
    814.730.0003.cell

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The stock pickups in most of the USA Hamer Cruises were Seymour Duncans, and IMO are very nice pickups. What don't you like about thier sound?

If you do want to go for a replacement, I believe nordstrand makes a 5 string J pickup for narrow string spacing, as does Fender. Your biggest challenge will be finding a pickup that fits in the routes and has appropriate spacing on the polepieces, since there is no "standard" on 5s the way there is on Fender style 4 strings.

You could also try an outboard sadowsky preamp to see if that gives you what you are looking for.

3. The USA Hamers are great!!
    I have two USA 2-tek four strings, one with Vintage Jazz the other with Dimarzo Ultra Jazz.
    The Ultra Jazz is very similar to Shawdosky pups, they sound more modern than the Vintage Jazz. The vintage is more punchy, while th ultras more even sounding with a bit more high end and are very quiet. The ultras sound more like an active pickup compared the to vintage set.
    I use my sunburst four with the Ultra Jazz for my live shows.
    I use my green with Duncan Vintage Jazz for recording and to keep in like new condition. My sunburst gets the road use along with the dings and sweat.
    One wierd note, my 2-teks are slighlty different, one has a longer/bigger back plate, think it's a 1996 model the other is a 98 I think.
    Oh, I had Jazz Bartolinis in my Carvin 5 string, they were better than the carvin stock, to my ears also better than the EMGs.
    Hope my 2 cents help.

Dave