Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing short scale neck with standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Sep 10, 2002.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have a no name short scale bass. i ripped out the frets a long time ago, and would like to re-do this job.

im thinking of new pickups, new fretless neck, maybe even bridge, depending on what you guys think.

is it even possible? are the bodies on short scale basses constructed differently?

finally, where could i find more inexpensive necks?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think it is possible. The scale is determined by the length of the strings. This is defined by not only the neck length, but the location of the bridge. If you put a long scale neck on there, you'd end up with unusable garbage instead of notes. That is unless you drilled and moved the bridge as well. IF the bass has room for a 34" scale length bridge location.

Not a good idea. If you're after a long scale bass for a minimum price, the Essex ones at www.rondomusic.com are very well regarded around here. See the Essex Megathread for more information. The BG-80 P bass clone is under $100.

3. I think it _might_ be possible. But like Phil said, if you got have the proper scale length, you could be destined for garbage.

If you're in the market for a cheap fretless, look into the Essex basses. They are awesome, and the price you pay for the whole bass will be right about what you would spend for a new neck.

But if you do decide to swap necks out, keep in mind the neck pocket on a short scale is smaller than a full scale. You'll have to open it up some.

Measure out the length of the neck and the body. You could do be successful in this project and only have to move the bridge back a little bit.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have been eyeing those Essexs for a while now anyway so i guess ill start saving money

5. I don't think you can beat the essex when it comes to this. A new neck, bridge, and pick-ups would be way more than 100 clams, right?...my vote is for the essex as well...or that you hit the lottery, and can afford any bass you want. Just remember all of the TB'ers when you do, huh?

Goodluck with it all...

-Dave

6. P.S. I just saw your gear page...I love the color of your Spector.

-Again with the Dave