Replacing Speaker in Ashdown EB 15-180 Bass Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edorama_day, May 26, 2018.

1. Edorama_day

Edorama_day

May 26, 2018
    So I blew out the speaker in my Ashdown EB 15-180. Here's webpage I bought the amp from (which has some specs):
    www.zzounds.com/item--ASDEB15180

From reading around online it seems like this Eminence Delta woofer would be a good option to replace the speaker:
    www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/290-4504--eminence-delta-15lf-4-spec-sheet.pdf

Was just curious if anyone here would mind offering me their advice on replacing the speaker in this combo amp. Just want to make sure that the replacement speaker I buy can achieve the same volume as the original speaker. I'm on a budget so I'm not too worried about the tone of the replacement speaker as long as it sounds okay I can get by with it.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's not the speaker I would choose, pretty dark, not very efficient and if you use the 4 ohm version as you posted you can not use the extension speaker out (and the amp should be clearly marked as such to prevent accidental death to the amp)

BassmanPaul, Bim1959 and AstroSonic like this.
  3. Edorama_day

Edorama_day

May 26, 2018
    Any recommendations on a speaker that would be ok for this amp? (Won't be using the speaker out so not too worried about that so I will mark it as unusable)

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You will need to provide the internal dimensions and the dimensions of whatever porting is present.

5. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Email Ashdown support. It might take them a few days to reply but they'll be happy to make a recommendation. I have C110-300 that I had blown the speaker in. They suggested a Beta. I'm more than happy with that.

6. Edorama_day

Edorama_day

May 26, 2018
    Sorry for bumping the old thread but for reference, Ashdown got back to me and they recommend replacing the speaker in this bass combo amp with an Eminence ALPHA-15A

Here's the link to the speaker.
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Thanks everyone

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That's probably a lot closer to the original speaker's voicing.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021