1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing speaker in cheap amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeteFromOz, Nov 16, 2018.

1. PeteFromOz

PeteFromOz

Nov 15, 2018
    Hi All,

If I get a cheap bass amp from my local "Cash Converters" store, should I be able to take out the useless 6 inch speaker and replace it with something larger (e.g. 10 inch) provided they're both 8 Ohm?

2. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    This is a bass combo?

Maybe throw in some specs like brand, model, etc to assist those giving advice.

Decent cabs are generally tuned to the particular driver so replacement isn't always straight forward if you want good results.

Bim1959 likes this.
  3. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    You can, but the results will probably be unsatisfactory, or worse, since the enclosure will not match your new speaker.
    A better bet, if you're good with the wood butchery, might be to make a box specifically to suit the larger driver and fit the amp component in there.

Even yet though, probably be cheaper to wait until a better amp turns up... Home building doesn't seem to save as much money as it ought if you cost up paint, glue, fittings, all the extras.

Old Garage-Bander and biguglyman like this.
  4. Hey! Welcome to Talkbass.
    You’ll get some good advice here, sprinkled in among a lot of opinions that may or may not apply or be valid.
    What I am about to say is mostly opinion.
    Dismiss it, take it with a grain of salt, or use it as a springboard to learn how to be better informed.
    Your choice.

Cheap amps that need work to make them “better” are rarely the good value in the long run that they seem to be at the time of purchase.

The question raised about, is this a bass amp, is the key here.
    Does it have an open back where the speaker is?
    If so, you can pretty much rule it out for bass use.

Bass speakers have some very specific characteristics that you don’t get with a guitar speaker.
    Likewise, the cabinet that holds a bass speaker is much more than just a box.

If it’s a guitar amp and you will use it with a guitar (not bass) you’ll probably be OK.
    And a half way decent bass speaker will cost a lot more than what you’re probably paying for the amp in question.

For bass guitar use, the cabinet is designed specifically to work with the speaker. Any deviation from those design parameters and the question of how it will sound gets thrown out the window.

Without knowing more about the specific amp, I would offer that you may be better off saving the money you would spend on an “upgrade” speaker, and save up a little more and get something that has a better chance of working well for you.

Good luck. And please check back in with the extra info.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Depends on cabinet size

6" to 8" seems feasible

Although 8" practice amps used can go for 40 bucks.
    And that's about the cost of a speaker

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It’s an inexpensive amp. Experiment with an inexpensive but upgraded bass speaker and see.

Even better, try connecting it to an 8 ohm bass cabinet if you can find one. Size doesn’t matter for this test. It will help reveal the limitations of your amp and help you decide if buying a new speaker will be worth it.

If it’s a guitar amp, I wouldn’t hold up much hope. Inexpensive guitar amps are built to not perform well at the best of times.

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Cheap amps with six inch speakers will always sound like cheap amps with six inch speakers. Cheap amps with upgraded six inch speakers won’t sound much better. My vote goes to saving your money for something you will use longer.

8. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    You could build or buy yourself a 1-10 or 1-12 with a decent speaker and get a used practice combo to power it for now (some of them have an output jack that cuts power to the main speaker when in use). That way when you inevitably decide you need a real amp, you already have a decent cab and you can hopefully sell the unaltered practice combo without taking much of a loss on it.