Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing speaker in CXL-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Warning my longish sob story follows, feel free to skip to next paragraph for the actual question...

OK, so I am an idiot. My iamp 800 is in the shop and I have been making do with either a Fishman Pro EQ or a SABDDI into a Crest vs900 till the iamp gets back. Today I thought I'd try the upright through the SABDDI again out of curiousity. I ran it through my CXL-112 which is the cabinet I use for home rehearsal mostly. Sure enough the upright didn't sound that fabulous through the SABDDI. Unhooked everything, powered down, and walked off. A couple hours later I plugged in my Warwick and powered up the amp. Now I always, but always, turn my volume down on any amp/preamp that I'm using when I am done. So I thump the E and reach for the volume knob only to discover that this one durn time I did not turn down the volume! I was concentrating on trying to make the SABDDI work on upright so much that I didn't turn the vloume back down when I was done. The Warwick's send was obviously MUCH hotter than the Fishman Full Circle peizo pickup on the upright, hello clip city. I am a freakin idiot. The speakers blown, yippee. Now my iamp 800 is in the shop and I just blew my cxl-112. Not a stellar month for me. :bawl:

I just ordered a replacement speaker via Bob Gollihur. Has anyone ever swapped out the speaker on a CXL-112? Was wondering if this was something I should just go ahead and pay a local tech to do, or if I should go ahead and swap it out myself. I've never tried changing a speaker with a tweeter mounted in front of the speaker like it is on the CXL-112. Is that much of an issue? Any other issues of which I should be aware? Thanks in advance.

Good lord I feel like an utter moron......

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well I've never swapped out a speaker on an EA cab, but I've never had any real difficulty doing it myself on other cabs. It's usually just a matter of removing th grill, unscrewing the speaker, then carefully lifting it out. Make notes so you can replicate the wiring when the new speaker goes in.

In this case, you'll have to determine either how to remove the tweet, or perhaps you can get the 12 in and out with the tweet still in place? Without seeing the inside of the cab, it's hard to judge. If you're patient and sensible, you should be able to manage it.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

First, I'd just email John Dong at EA and find out how they do it.

Is the tweeter blown as well? The diaphragms in many compression drivers can be user-replaced if needed, or at least easily done by an experienced tech. The high frequency driver is probably actually mounted on the back of your coax speaker, and will be either bolted or screwed on. The horn is the part you see in the front on your speaker. It's part of the tweeter, but it's not the part you need to worry about, more than likely.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I replaced the the speaker on my CXL-112 a couple of years ago after I blew the driver. It was making a funny mechanical noise, like the horn became unglued from the driver and was flapping with the low notes. So I emailed EA and they very promptly sent me a new speaker. It was very easy to replace, they connect with little clips at the end of the wire. No soldering or anything like that. I would contact EA just to be sure everything is proper. If I recall, they are super nice guys. Good luck, not to worry!

jake

visit my website

5. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    ouch mr luke,

sorry about your speaker. do you still have your hatke combo for gigs?

Thanks for coming to texas with your band and playing a show wit mine. we will do it again.

mm

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, the tweet's fine just the 12"er. Got instructs emailed from John Dong at EA. Should've just gone to the source from the get-go. Thanks for responses.

[off topic]

Mike,
    enjoyed playing Sherman TX with y'all. Unfortunately I left a mic stand at the venue. Funny thing was I could have sworn it wasn't ours and almost forcefully gave it to the bassist from The Unlikeables. That was actually Aaron's stand that he left for other's use. Oh well, crap happens, replacement stand already bought. :eek: Check your PM.

Oh yeah, that Hartke combo's gone the way of the dinosaur. Have become a rather rabid EA convert. You need Need to flip out at least one of your GK 115's for a NL-210. Trust me on this, I wouldn't steer you wrong much.

[/off topic]