Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing speakers help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Jun 15, 2002.

1. i have the 4x10 cab from speakerhole.com and i want to replace the speakers. also a 15'' in my carvin combo .i dont knopw much about speakers.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What aren't your cabinets doing that you'd like them to?

Sometimes it's less expensive to sell what you have and get different cabinets.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get something new.

The cab isnt just a box of any size. The cab is a carefully calculated volume that has been chosen to match the speakers. Changing the speakers will never get you anywhere.

Cabs are tuned to specific frquencies, and this determines the port size and, ultimitely this is all decided by the specs of the speaker used.

Some cbas are poorly designed however. Carvins are on the top of my list. I built a cab with 2 Carvin 15's and its is much larger than twice the size of a single carvin 15 cab. They also tune the fequency of their cabs too high.

Basically dont do it.

Peace
    Nick

4. well the speaker hole speakers are ok,i want to get better ones. i got the cab for xmas for a gift and it sounds nice just want to upgrade.i know you have to get the right speaker for the right box.i have the carvin pb 100 15 combo and i dont know if i want to replace it cause it a pretty good speaker.but i get alot of noise from that speaker.i dont know how to describe the noise but it allways has had it. the speaker hole cab and speakers are pretty good but i want to put louder and better speakers in it. if any one could tell me what speakers i could use would help alot.

i dont want to have to buy diffent cabs cause i tight on cash.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I doubt they will sound better if you change them.

The box wont be tuned to the replacements, and you will end up getting some weird harmonics, and distortion. In addition the speakers will have to work harder to produce some frequecies.

Peace
    Nick

6. so there no way to get new speakers for the box.and have it sound good.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html

Go to the speaker section and post a question with 'TED' and 'please' in the title. Explain your problem and include the sizes of the cabs (and your age and broken typing hand:))

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You are better off investing in a new cab. New speakers won't be cheap and may not even work with the dimensions and porting of your cab. Just spring for the extra few bucks and buy a new cab.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree that you should geta new cab if the sound isnt up to par.

Eded is good but expensive, so if you cant spend alot of money check out Nemesis.

Theyre built by Eden and sound great. The major dirrefence is that the speaker frames are stamped instead of cast (Ive heard about Eden using the same method as Nemesis though), and that the Nemesis boxes are built from a less expensive recycled composite which is lighter and stronger.

They have very a similar sound, and are tuned about the same, and yet are much less expensive.

Peace
    Nick

10. I use a Nemesis 4*10 cab and it sounds absolutely schweet so I second the Nemesis.

Cheers rOdy

11. ill just get a new cab .when i have money

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I bet if you sell your current setup you should be able to get a Nemesis stack.

I would go for a 2, 2-12" speaker stack, or a 2-10" and 2-12" stack.

Peace
    Nick

13. i have a crappy carvin pb 100 15inch combo and a speaker hole 4x10 cab i cant sell them i would make no cash.\

i have yet to figure this out what size rig do you need to do gigs with a drummer guiatar player.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try selling on eBay. You will make some money, and you can find a Nemesis combo for fairly cheap.

Try contacting Gard at Bass Central in Orlando Fl. Thats where I got my Nemesis from, and you will be dealing with a fellow TalkBass'er.

Peace
    Nick

15. i dont want another combo.i was thinking a preamp power amp then a 4x10 and 15 inch again but thats far away. iam thing about the ampeg preamp or the tech 21 wich one is more money.