Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thesmallprint, Jun 28, 2005.

1. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
  2. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    no one?

3. of course you can replace your current speakers with the Eminence; make sure that you get the 16 ohm version if you want a 4 ohm cabinet. On the other hand ask yourself if an investment of more than $300.00 is worth it or if you want to buy another cabinet. Avatar's 410 is just slightly more expensive than you'd pay for the replacement speakers.

4. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    yeh well i live in OZ so i cant get an avatar cab, i also would want it to remain an 8 ohmer is this possible and how much would it cost do u think to get it done by an expert.

thanks again

5. I assume your cabinet has an 8 ohm impedance. Check out what ohmeage each of your woofers has and just order the new speakers with the identical ohmeage. Exchanging woofers is then pretty easy and you should be able to do it yourself.

good luck

Jorg

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Delta 10 is a guitar driver and shouldn't be considered as an upgrade in a bass cab. The less expensive Beta 10 is actually a much better choice for bass and is quite forgiving of different cab configurations. It should be a drop-in replacement.

7. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    yeh i was thinking of the beta, coz i saw it and it was cheaper and had a lower frequency ability. So would i just need to take them out and put them in, how many wires would i be dealing with?

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Two per driver, chances are they use spade lugs.

9. I have found the tens and twelves typically use spade lugs while the 15's use thumb screw terminals.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Depends on the grade of speaker. Eminence typically uses spades on stamped frames, screws on cast frames, but sometimes spring loaded terminals as well. With OEM spades are used more often than not as they are the least expensive option.

11. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    the speakers in it currently are 8 ohm, however ive changed my mind and want a 4 ohm cab now, so is it right i need 16 ohm speakers?

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got Eminence 10's with thumb screw terminals, and in the past have had two 15's with spade terminals. Blows that theory out of the water . . . .

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yes, use 16 ohm drivers, but you'll have to change the wring scheme from series/parallel to parallel. If that's Greek to you then you shouldn't attempt it, if you mess up the wiring at best it won't sound right, at worst you'll blow your amp. Either get help from someone who knows what they're doing or stay with 8 ohm drivers so that you can do a simple swap.

14. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    i understand about series/parallel but i dont know how to go about the wiring, would it be quite complicated?

Also what about tuning frequencies and things like that, will a straight swap work? :help:

15. I have a copy of "Eminence designer" and did some research into installing two shot Celestion 10" (C10H 100) in a Trace Elliot 2x10 for a friend. I experimented with most of the 10" eminence range. I found the beta's to be great, I installed them and tested them and sounded better than the celestions did, especially towards the end of their life. The only driver that was superior was the Kappa Pro 10 but at 400w per driver, the price and power handling was just simply over-specified. The cab is now driven with and AH400SMX at 8 ohms (two 16 ohm drive units). It does sound very good indeed... I paid £35 per speaker...