1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 10, 2006.

1. hello all
    and welcome to my third installment of inane questions.

Can you replace speakers with any other speaker of the same size in a cabinet? say i have a speaker cab with brand "A" speakers. can i take that one out and put in a brand "B" or "C" speaker?

now, my logic tells me yes, but i need verification. I read a EarCandy cab thread, and i have read a few DIY threads and websites (which as thor points out, maybe be wrong) and they speak of cabs being specially designed for the speaker inside, and something about resonent frequencies, and the like. Specifically this ear candy thread, where petebass said "People, be wary of any company that thinks it's ok to make one standard cab and throw any speaker that fits in there." now granted he is refering to making one box size and throwing in 10s, 12s, or 15s in one box, but i just want to make sure that if its a 15" speaker cabinet, any 15" speaker will do.

Thanks for helping me!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Don't trust your logic!! :)

You have the basics like power handling and impedance that you have to consider. But also, there are other factors to consider based on the design of the cabinet.

Each cabinet is tuned for specific speaker design. Not simply the size of the cone. The air volume, porting, etc. are all designed to function with a particular driver based on ALL of it's specs.

Of course, if you find another brand name of driver with very similar specifications, you may be OK.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. The least number of driver parameters that must be considered when matching a driver to a cabinet is three, and the size of the driver is not one of them.

4. thanks for the info so far guys,

but now, what parameters should i think about?

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    That's a starting point. Cabinet Building 101

Go to Eminence.com and look at all the specs they list for individual speakers, then figure out what they mean. By the time you are done you will have the answers you seek.

6. Bill, you are usually always helpful but just to say the least number of driver parameters that must be considered is three leaves something to be desired here. What do you consider important?

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The simplest calculation for a box would employ Qts, Vas and Fs. It won't give as precise a result as one using a few more parameters, but it will give a usable result.

8. Thanks Bill